Mael de Narval (FR)


Mael de Narval (FR)

Sometimes you are just, as more or less the whole wide world nowadays, toaming on FB when your eyes are suddenly caught by a picture. A simple one. This particular day, it was by an ad for a Baroness show in Toulouse (France). It has not been that simple to find out who did the drawing but finally I managed to have his name, discovered he was playing in the opening act and... you can read hereunder what happened next ;) Sometimes, in the rock poster world, influences are obvious by looking at one's drawing, with Mael, I must admit this is really a unique style...


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Right now, I listen a lot the last Mars Volta "Nocturniquet" ... otherwise, I really listen to everything, from old folk, world music, metal ... as long as there is crazy stuff.
           
Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I'm 32, I live in Toulouse, in southern France.
I play drums in "Selenites", I tattoo buddies and draw when I have time.

When did you start drawing?        

           
I scribble since I was little. I "started" to draw, from the moment I started tattooing, there is a little less than 10 years now.


Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawings in the margins of your schoolbooks?

no drawing school, just drawing during the math class .... I am self-taught, my father is a painter and graphic designer, it probably comes from there, from having grown between the prints and incredible vinyl sleeves


Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?           

No, that would be pretty nice, but it remains a hobby for now.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Not really, but I have a some projects to come....      

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

From Belgian comics and psychedelic vinyl sleeves.
I like artists like David Andrea, Rick Griffin, Alan Forbes, Michael Malone ... my influences are as diverse as what I listen to music...

What are the principal steps in your work?

Take a pencil in hand and see where it leads me...

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

It depends, drawing in one shot, or in small pieces and then making the construction on the computer.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Generally not very long, I have a kind of obsession with doing things at once. As I have not finished it yet, I keep working on it.

 You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?


I can draw (almost) anything you want but only in my own style.

For which band have you already worked for?

There are many bands here in Toulouse, I work locally... but I had the opportunity to work for Russian, American, Portuguese bands....thanks internet!

           
For which band would you love to work?

Cult of Luna, Maserati, The Bronx....
           

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Not especially, as the band contact me and leave me quite free,  I'm opened to anybody!

           
What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Having original ideas.
           


Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

Don't kow. Don't care.
           

           
A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

My work is here: www.mahelldenarval.com
And listen to my band, Selenites, it's cool.

           
The best praise you received lately?

"I knew you drew this at first sight"

           
What can we wish you for the future?

that it continues like this, I like this life

           
Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

I'm glad you've shown an interest in my work, long life to your blog!

Aucun commentaire: