Jeral Tidwell (US)

Jeral Tidwell (US)

A long time ago, when I had a question, my grandfather used to tell me: "Everything is in the books", and everyday I can say he told me the truth. I don't remember how I discovered DE NADA (Tidwell's last book to date) but I immediatly felt in love with his drawing and skills for paintings, pinstrippin' and more or less all kind of arts I like, not to mention gigposters. I am really proud to welcome him today on the blog and I take this opportunity to thanx him for his time and answers !


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

There is a chance you will hear anything from Lady Gaga to Social Distortion and from Rebirth Brass Band to Led Zeppelin ... anything goes around here.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I was born in Southern California 1969, raised in Louisiana, and now happily terrorizing the mid-west.
My main art is illustration... drawing, inking, and painting. I am also a screen printer, I am half owner of
Crackhead Press here in Louisville Kentucky with my business partner Angryblue ( Justin Kamerer ).

When did you start drawing?


I was drawing before I could talk... true story. My mom says I didn't even want to talk because it was like I know
that I could communicate with a pencil... now I never shut up! hahaha

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?


In grade school I would draw on anything I could get my hands on, school books where always a target.
I did not attend art school or college.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I have made my living as an artist since 1988... It's all I know and I would be a terrible employee! hahaha

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Yes, I have a few interviews each year and a few features in books. I have recently been featured in
Pinstripe Planet 2 and Surf Graphics books from Korero. I have also just released my latest book "DE NADA"
which is 180 pages, full color, hard cover, and completely packed with my creative insanity.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

I am inspired by everthing around me... tattoos, graffiti, hot rods, posters, skateboards, and even working in my garden... everything!
As for influences... Jim Phillips is probably the Greatest Bad influence on my art.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

My art always starts with a pencil sketch and then an ink drawing. After that it depends on the final purpose... it will become a painting or get scanned to
be made into a screen print or some other product that requires a digital file. I do no create art in the computer but I do color my drawings in photo shop for printing.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

Answered above.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Usually a couple weeks from start to finished... drawing, inking, scanning, color separations, printing, signing, and shipping... it is an enormous load of work.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

Hahaha... I can make this painting for you if that is what you are asking! hahaha
I mainly just do whatever I want, I don't take very many commissions as it makes me crazy trying to please someone else... which is almost impossible.

For which band have you already worked for?


I have worked for about 50 different bands... way to many to list. Some of my favorites have been CLUTCH, Snoop Dogg, and Widespread Panic.

For which band would you love to work?

Jay Z, Lady Gaga, TOOL, and PHISH.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Usually the promoters have a list of upcoming shows and I just choose from the bands I want.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Color separations and actually printing them.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

I am part of whatever is going on in the world at the moment... art is a very fluid scene.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

The best place to see my work is at WWW.HUMANTREE.COM That is my site... you can look and buy my insanity there.

The best praise you received lately?


A beautiful woman said she wanted to have sex with me because I was such a great artist... Not sure it could get any better than that.

What can we wish you for the future?


Last Gasp is publishing my new book... it is a day of the dead art book that will feature Myself, Angryblue, David Lozeau, and Roberto Jaras Lira.
It is formatted like a bible with the black cover, gold foil title, and gold gilded pages... it even has a ribbon. This book is going to be very cool. The title
is " Amigos De Los Muerto " ( Friends of the dead ) and should be available Oct. 2012. I also have a new signature brush set coming from MACK Brush Co.
that should hit the streets in mid Sept. 2012. I am always making new crazy art so keep an eye on me... I am full of surprises.

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Aucun commentaire: