Claudio C. Sanchez (Venezuela)

Claudio C. Sanchez (Venezuela)

After Daniel Gavotti and José Varela Venezuela still has a lot of talents to check out !!! I do not have space enough to display all the pictures Claudio sent me, but check his gigposters account a you will definitly discover something you'll like as his art covers a wide range of influences and techniques. Bienvenido Claudio !!!

 

What are we listening to when we come to visit you?
i listen to a lot of rare not so much commercial music, a lot… and a broad range of styles. in the range of from pixies to pez and BJM in between.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?
i have a tech title in advertising, did some big agencies, I’m a freelancer basically, also do some rock music, some gaming CG, and eventually some magazines.  I’m from Barquisimeto, Venezuela

 When did you start drawing?
My grandad is a good impressionist painter he tought me basics when i was a kid, altough i am not good ilustrating at all. For me what really matters the most is concept, i repeat “concept”. so i served myself with everything i have at hand to get the way trough the idea

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?
Schoolbooks!!! I was attending to a false start of electric engineering career and now i remember myself scketching posters of fictional bands, or logos at the time  (switched to advertising career after that) or drawing cars or aircrafts in early school at recess time

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?
I live from it, both “traditional” advertising and this more artsy posters / flyers (they pay a lot of the house mortage), BTL stuff, of course i’m also an eccentric millionaire with a private jet in my free time

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?
Sometimes i collaborate  with a virtual magazine called “La Navaja de Mc Giver” http://www.facebook.com/lanavaja.demcgyver

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?
I like cars and aircrafts a lot, there’s so much art in them. since im not a pure designer i feel like i can save some of the common places or conflicts normaly found ( in disadvantage of technical skills let’s say) but 70’s muscle cars, 80’s colors, weird local products packaging, humor, etc. I dont feel attached with a specific style but always keep looking what the “vanguard” sort of “looks like” so i can skip that and stick to my own.

What are the principal steps in your work ?
Drinking cofee, and getting a strong right and unique concept. instead of wasting time on the computer. If it doesn’t have a nice concept it’s just contributing to global warming

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?
I use whatever i can, a napking, or 3d computer graphics,  used office paper with stains are favorite. Computer is just another tool

How long does it take you to do a poster?
They get designed very quickly once the concept it’s right. i’ll say three to five hours top. They are always urgent, so i can not take like two weeks to do them

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I always do what i feel like, They come up best. It’s very rare to take a especific request but they get done right also. Liked That “sunset” idea of yours by the way.

For which band have you already worked for?

TOMATES FRITOS, FORDELUCS, LIMPIACABEZALES, UNCO, ATKINSON, WAHALA, FABIOLA DIAZ, CARLOS ANGOLA, OKILLS, LA NOTA IGNOTA, VIRGENFEST, ELEFREAK, LIMPIACABEZALES, LOS PIXEL.

For which band would you love to work?
Oh, well im already doing it, and that is very nice.  I just hope to have more overseas requests

Do you choose the artists yourself?
Been lucky enough to work with bands I like. I’ve had requests from bands that i dont like, and it’s a disaster. but sometimes it's just the opposite and you become the best designer they could get, it should work like that.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?
A poster basically has to take you out of your seat or computer, and get you going to the concert (even if you don’t go, you should want in the Wall of your room and look it for hours). It must take  you to how is it basically “to be” there with that band rocking out, it has to put you in the right mood. I mean… if all that mentioned before is not a difficult part enough

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?
I started to desing my own flyers (for my band initially) because i was worried about how venezuelan rock poster designs were poor or lacked concept, even colors, or design at all.  I dont consider myself a “pure designer” ‘cause i do a lot of ohter advertising related stuff, but i have been doing enough posters to see other “designers” raise up their concepts, or the bands taking care to make better Works and that makes me silently happy

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?
I’m a real bad self-promoter but i try to keep them posted at
this is my band also

The best praise you received lately?
Best praise is when you dont have to justify your art, or explain it …at all

What can we wish you for the future?
a better self-promoting web page maybe, and some overseas bands, why not? 

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!
No, tank you man. This means a lot to me, really. I’ll show it to my wife right away


Aucun commentaire: