Eric Nyffeler (Doe eyed) (US)

Eric Nyffeler (Doe eyed) (US)

Drawings of dinosaurs and Star Wars ? So finally that was the secret to become a poster artist ? It was so simple and I never thought about it...Dinosaurs are not that difficult to draw but Darth Vader....that's another story. Maybe is it the reason why Eric is such a great poster artist and I am just a not that bad interviewer....the Darth Vador cartoon skills....maybe..... :)

What are we listening to when we come to visit you?

I'm currently listening to Ennio Morricone's soundtrack to the 1971 Italian thriller "Il Gatto a Nove Code." Basically a horror soundtrack with a bit of funk mixed in.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

My name is Eric Nyffeler. Born and raised and still living in Nebraska, I am a designer, illustrator, half of Doe Eyed, musician and smartass.

When did you start drawing?

I've been drawing as long as I can remember. I started with mostly drawings of dinosaurs and Star Wars, I later moved onto creating my own comic books (which was kind of weird because I don't think I've ever read a whole comic book). I kind of fell out of art during my teens and focused mostly on music. My love of art was reawakened when I enrolled in the graphic design program during college.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

As a youth, I took a handful of drawing classes at my local library, but I found much more pleasure in my own drawings of monsters and guns.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

Somehow, I do make a living from my art. I listen to death metal, eat string cheese, and draw weird shit all day long. I can't even express how lucky I am.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Are you talking about posing for Playboy? No, not yet. I certainly wouldn't turn down the opportunity, though!

Where does your influence come from?

I pretty much find equal influence from other artists and random shit that I encounter in the world. The random patterns of brick walls in alleys, old library books or even decorative metalwork…everything I see fills the well from witch I draw my inspiration.

Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

As far as artists and graphic designers, my inspiration is equally split between my close friends and the design masters. I'm lucky enough to have a roster of some outrageously talented friends including Doublenaut, Youngmonster Nick, Zach Hobbs, Webuyyourkids, The Silent Giants and Raymond Biesinger.

I'm also a huge fan of graphic design masters such as Herb Lubalin, Paul Rand and Saul Bass.

What are the principal steps in your work?

My work process generally follows the path of Incubate Ideas and Sketch and Scan and; Redraw in Illustrator and Scan in real textures and distres and Redraw again and Add more textures and High five babes!

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

Everything I do is a 50/50 combination of computer and hand. I couldn't create a poster without a computer and a scanner and real materials. Nothing I create is ever made entirely in a computer.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

It varies, but the best answer is just under a week. I feel like I achieve the best results when I have the time to go back to the design multiple times and rework shit then take a few days off then come back and refine some more. I have created posters in under 24 hours, but I've never been super happy with how they've turned out. They tend to be a bit doughy in the middle.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it?

Well, I certainly couldn't create an oil painting (I haven't touched oil paints since college) but I could definitely create my own version of the aquatic equine twilight scene. It might not look like what the client wants, but it'll definitely look like I made it.

For which band have you already worked for?

I've worked for such bands as The Decemberists, Iron &Wine, The Mountain Goats, Why?, Superchunk, East of the Wall and Circa Survive.

For which band would you love to work?

I would love to create something for Swans, Aesop Rock or Grails. Phil Collins would be fun, too.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Rarely. However, there are a few local venues that are owned by friends and they give me my choice of creating posters for any of their scheduled concerts.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?

Obviously, the most difficult part is coming up with a sound concept. Without fail, the best prints are the ones with the most fully-fleshed out ideas. It's always easy to come up with a pretty picture, but if that image doesn't perfectly mesh with the band and their vibe, then I've failed as a poster artist.

You feature in the new gigposters 2 book, how did you find yourself involved in it?

Massive bribes. I had to pay Clay Hayes over $1000 in beef jerky to be included in Volume 2.


Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else?

Is "scumbag hipster" a scene? But seriously, I'm not sure. I know that my work is more "designerly" than a lot of the more "illustratory" work that is really popular right now.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

http://www.doe-eyed.com/

http://dribbble.com/doe_eyed


http://twitter.com/doe_eyed


The best praise you received lately?

I receive a lot of emails from students who are currently enrolled in various design/art programs. I'm always flabbergasted by all these students who look up to me as an inspiration when I still think of myself as a dumb kid who is still struggling to figure out how to draw rad shit.

What can we wish you for the future?

Babes and money.

Aucun commentaire: