3501 (SP)

3501 (SP)

Even if many of us think so, this interview is the definitive evidence that spanishs and germans are not that differents...at least wheb it comes to way of working on a rock poster. Check Lulu Artwork answer on the way she is working and, 3501 one and you will see those 2 cultures are finally quite close. This said, you, promoters, will be glad to learn that some designers have skills enough to work for Slayer as well as for Justin Bieber. This, and many other interesting things are develloped below… Viva espana !!!!


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?


- Dudley Perkins and at the same time Mynationshit, because he have the studio next to my room.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

- My name is 3501. I grew up in Almería and Madrid. I'm a self-taught illustrator who spends most of my time drawing, riding my bike and raising pigeons, all at the same time.

When did you start drawing?

- When I was 3 years old my father gave me a pencil and paper and said to me "Sit there, and don't move",

I’m still drawing.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

- All my schoolbooks were filled with drawings, the usual stuff: dicks with wings, band logos, teachers licking things, etc.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living?

- I survive mainly by selling paintings, some months I have to bullfight for money, usually on Thursdays.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

- El Temerario, probably the best zine in Spain.

Where does your influence come from? Are there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

- I have the regular influences of my generation, tons of cartoons, comics, movies, skate, etc

but I particularly I like Notorious Big, Buckethead and Moondog.

What are the principal steps in your work?

- Step 1: Buy champagne and oysters

Step 2: Get naked

Step 3: Start drawing.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

- 99% by hand, 1% foot, I sometimes add some color with my computer.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

- It depends on the cups of coffee.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it?

- I'm confused, where did you see that one?

For which bands have you already worked for?

- Can´t remember...but you can check it up here http://www.flickr.com/3501/

For which band would you love to work?

- Slayer, Justin Bieber, Ricky Martin, Burt Bacharach...

Do you choose the artists yourself?

- Always, there's a huge line of people outside my house waiting.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?

- When the band have a long stupid name sometimes it's hard to make the composition.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else?

- I'm part of a small gang, we're just us 2, the great Luis Demano and me, we have oversized pencils like baseball bats to beat the shit out of people. Sometimes Jessica Boston joins us, she is so violent...

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work, on the web or in real life?

- I update regularly http://www.blablabla3501.com/ or you can follow my daily diet here https://www.facebook.com/3501artwork.

And in real life in many teenager's rooms around the world.

The best praise you received lately?

- In Barcelona somebody stole one of my drawings in an exhibition

What can we wish you for the future?

- Food, and my girlfriend playing Guitar Hero by my side, that's all I need.

Can you tell us a little bit more about the spanish poster scene?

- I only have eyes for Mik Baro, Malakkai and MDonada. I don't pay much attention to the rest.

Last question > Do you know anything about French rock posters scene?

 I only know the amazing work of LL Cool JO.

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

- Thank you for your interest.





*Pic by Zack Pianko

Aucun commentaire: