Lulu Artwork (Germany)

Lulu Artwork (Germany)

With Ican Harem I thought I had my wilder interview ever. but it was before I met Frau Lulu. With Rob Fitzpatrick I thought I had the genuine psyche art child, but this was before I met Lulu. With all the interviews done till now, I knew Rock Posters guys were sometime weird, but this was ... well, you see what I mean :) For those who complains, sometimes, that there are not enough women on the blog, this is what I call a serious update ! ;)


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Ahhhh! Well, i would ask you if you know „The Dragons – ‚BFI’“ and if not, i would play it and if yes, i’d play it, too.

He,he.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

This is difficult. Who am i – i ask myself sometimes... But let’s give it a try...

I am a poor artist that tries to infiltrate the grey world with some psychedelic acid colours and music! FUCK THE SYSTEM!

I am from another planet... That’s what it feels like, sometimes, when i see the crowds...

What I do: artworking, mostly for my own band „electric moon“. I make music. I hate the society...

When did you start drawing?

I was already drawing a lot when I was a little child! As soon as i was able to hold a pen, i started drawing. My whole life long until now.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

No. When I was 19 or so, i wanted to join the arts-highschool in Kassel. I came there and they asked me questions I could not believe. This was really fucked up. So I answered funny things and they kicked me out of the room... Assholes.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

Ha, ha. I try to live from that. But it is not really possible. But as I have no car and not many costs, it works. I did some really strange jobs in the past but I quitted with that. I am not able to work in some firm...

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Yeah! There is the Greek Psych-Zine „Timemazine“ – I did the cover for the last issue and the next one, or the US Psych-Zine „Psych Trail Mix“ – I also painted the cover for the current issue...

All underground stuff...

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

LOVE, MUSIC, DRUGS! Ha... My genes! My dad was painting a lot when he was younger, his mother was drawing and his father for the „Berliner Ensemble“ in the 50’s/60’s. I really like their style.

My dad was a big influence, I think. Even if his style is quite different (he worked with charcoal).

What are the principal steps in your work ?

1st: getting high.

2nd: find the right mood and music.

3rd: remembering my idea.

4th: getting higher.

Then start.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I paint everything by hand. The only thing i need the computer for is, to colour the posters or covers and to set the fonts and the final layout. But i do not use freehand or other vector stuff, I do not „paint“ with the computer.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

1-2 days... When i start, I cannot quit until it’s finished. Mostly. I am obsessed then.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I think I would start laughing. I try to imagine this strange oil painting. Yeah, i would paint it. But a bit different as one would expect, harr, harr!

To be true: No. It is a big problem.

For which band have you already worked for?

My own band(s): Electric Moon, Zone Six.

Then: Sula Bassana, Spectrum, The Pancakes, The Locked Ward, Heavy Water Experiments, Dead Peach, Pater Nembrot, Salvinorin A...

For which band would you love to work?

Vibravoid! ; )

I would love to travel back to the sixties and start some artwork there! Maybe for The Pretty Thing... sigh... That’s the moment when I remember what a fucked-up time we live in.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Well, I let the artist choose me himself, hehe, but if I HATE their music, I cannot really come up with something cool.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

The concept of the colours....

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

No. But I like Johan Jaccob’s stuff (the man from Glowsun who did the cover for our electric moon / glowsun split LP) – THIS is REALLY professional...

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

Oh cool, thanks. Fuck, I need a real homepage. I have an old not-updated-myspace-account:

http://www.myspace.com/luludesign

you can find my Artwork Page on facebook, too (just type „Lulu Artwork“ to find there...)

You can also see my work on LP/CD Covers, for example ELECTRIC MOON

http://www.electricmoon.de/

And some of it on

http://www.sulatron.com/

(THE psychedelic record-store and label online. Home of psychedelic music!)

And, because the Underground-people have to stick together, some advice: http://www.vibravoid.com/ if you like psychedelic acid rock...

The best praise you received lately?

Yours today! REALLY!

What can we wish you for the future?

That I won’t get NO thrombosis in my legs...

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Thanks for your interest!

Can i shift something here in addition? - FOLKS! WAKE UP! REALIZE! SPREAD THE WORD FOR THE REAL MUSIC, THE PSYCHEDELIC! STOP THE ROBOT-LIFE! JOIN THE UNDERGROUND! SAY „FUCK YOU“ TO YOUR BOSS IF HE DOESN’T ALLOW YOU HOLIDAYS!

Thank you!

2 commentaires:

Unknown a dit…

coool!

Anonyme a dit…

a really serious update!
great artwork!!!