Paula H (It)

Paula H (It)

Argentinian girl from Italy living in France, this is the kind of description that does not ease my work to classify drawers. So let's consider that Paula is from Italy and, if she becomes famous enough later on, we, then, will say that she's french, OK ? ;)



Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Hello Crewk!We are listening the album “Positively Negative” of the Magnetix.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I was born in Argentina, I moved in Italy when I was 8 and then moved in France some months ago. I have a band based in Bordeaux, J.C. Satàn, so I decided to come here.

When did you start drawing?

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

In Turin (Italy) I used to organize garage-r’n’r shows in a tiny club. I used to do the posters by myself. I started using images found on internet, and then I decided to drawn them. I never took any drawing course, I just started looking at an italian cover of a book of Chuck Palahniuk (Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories). It was in 2008.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

No, I’m not living from my art, I’m working as a cook in a tiny restaurant in the center of Bordeaux.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Not really regularly, but I’m occasionally doing some drawings for “Graisse Animale” (http://www.graisseanimale.com/ // FR) –btw I did the cover for the new issue #7, I did something for “Turbo Chainsaw” (turbochainsaw.blogspot.com // UK) and soon we are going to start a new Italian fanzine with the guys of the italian record label Shit Music for Shit People.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

I don’t feel any influences from anyone. I’ve always been really an “outsider” of the drawings, never been so much interested in what the others are doing. But since I’m in Bordeaux, I met lot of drawers here and I really like what they do, like Yoko, LLcool Jo and Havec.

What are the principal steps in your work ?Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

After I finally came with an idea, I draw it by hand on an A4 and I scan it. All the color part is made on photoshop. I like the most the “coloring part” of the work.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Usually it takes 3 hours, when I’m really motivated and I really know what to do. Or it can takes one day if I’m not sure about what to do.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I’m not really into doing something that I don’t feel good in doing it, like an oil painting! But some time ago, a girl from Manila (Philippines) asked me some drawings and she really knew what she wanted me to do. And I did it, even if it was not exactly what I like to do, but I put in it something of my style.

For which band have you already worked for?

Lot of bands, specially bands of friends, like Movie Star Junkies, Vermillion Sands, Demon’s Claws, Black Bug, Magnetix, Intelligence, Sic Alps, The Feeling of Love, Love Boat, Miss Chain and the Broken Heels, Hormonas and many more..and my band too.

For which band would you love to work?

I’d like to do something for the Ohsees.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Most of the time are bands of friends…I’m not choosing what to do, most of the time they ask me to do something for them, like a tshirt desing or an album cover or a tour poster.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Come out with a good idea and being able to draw exactly what I have in mind. Something I expect too much from my abilities!

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

No, I don’t think so. I’m a loner 

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

I’m publishing everything on FLICKR (www.flickr.com/paula-h) and I’m going to do a solo exhibition in December at the record store Total Heaven in Bordeaux.

The best praise you received lately?

My friends are usually really nice and they appreciate my works, telling me they are awesome everytime.

What can we wish you for the future?

To be happy, healthy and rich, it would be perfect.

Aucun commentaire: