Sabrina Gabrielli (It)

Sabrina Gabrielli (It)

At the time I am writing those lines, Sabrina's website is still more or less under construction, but should this be a reason why not interviewing her right now ? I discovered Sabrina's work thanx to Italian Poster Rock Art, and immediatly felt in love with her style, fresh and unique. A mix of child books illustration and music, poetry and dream. Well, once again, a proof that women in poster art definitly refresh this art.


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

At this moment Nick Cave and Blixa Bargeld.


Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

Sure!
I am from Rome, Italy. I work as a freelance product designer but right now I am more interested in illustration, art and music!

When did you start drawing?

At the age of two. My mom still keeps some of my early drawings...

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

Well, I studied product and graphic design. During the university period, I attended a 3 year course of comics.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I worked as a full time product designer and visualizer for 6 years untill december 2011. Now I’m trying to be more indipendent and to start my own studio. It will take some time...

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Not so much. Maybe in the future...

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

My influences... I think I don’t have an artist that completely influenced me. Or... I have too many to put them on a list!
When I was a child my parents bought a huge collection of old fairy tales from all over the world. They were so weird and genuine with these little old illustrations...
Probably all my personal imaginary world comes from those pages.


What are the principal steps in your work ?

First of all I have to find a good and exciting idea. It’s the most important step: if I don’t really like what I’m drawing I soon get bored.
I put on my mp3 player the music of the artist I am working for and I walk, do some housework, go to gym... until I’m totally into the right mood.
Then I sketch and ink the drawings. I colour everything with the computer or by hands (It depends on how much time I have...)
My posters are all digital prints. Sometimes I also add details and colours directly on the prints. One by one.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I wish I could do everything by hand! But it’s half and half.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

The whole process takes almost 4 days.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

Errr... A horse? Wouldn’t be nicer a little duck on a white background?

For which band have you already worked for?

In the last six months I designed a poster for every artist who played for “UnpluggedInMonti” at the "Blackmarket", a concert venue in the heart of Rome. ( www.facebook.com/UnpluggedInMonti )
I can list some names: Darren Heyman (Hefner), Eva & Manu, The Bony King of Nowhere, Ballboy, Nordgarden, Norther Portrait, Cats on Fire....

For which band would you love to work?

Amanda Palmer! I love that woman!

Do you choose the artists yourself?

No, I usually do posters under commission. Or for my band!


What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

The IDEA! And the colour part. It takes ages to choose the right combination of colours...


Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

I am a fresh man into the poster art world... Is there any graphic scene who would like to adopt me? :) 

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

Yeah! Let’s take full advantage of this opportunity.
Here is my page on About Me: www.about.me/sabrinagabrielli
My page on the IPRA (Italian poster Rock Art) website: http://www.italianposterrockart.com/autori/sabrina-gabrielli-10000087
Actually I do have a REAL website, but it’s still under construction... and I’m really slow in this kind of stuff. But probably next week it will be ready! www.mynameisbri.com
And last but not least my band website: www.formanta.it (I’m also a singer, by the way)

The best praise you received lately?

I want it! (an enthusiastic guy looking at one of my posters. He didn’t know I was at his back)

What can we wish you for the future?

To get paid for my artworks! ... or to become a rockstar. And win the lottery.


Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Thank you!!

Aucun commentaire: