Cricket Press (Sara Turner) (US)

Cricket Press (Sara Turner) (US)

Brian and Sara are Cricket Press; Since 2003, aside to their poster work, they also do a variety of illustration and graphic design work; including but not limited to logo designs, t-shirt designs, invites. We had the great opportunity to have Sara on the blog, this is kind of thing you won't miss !!

Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we
listening to when we come to visit you?

I listen to a lot of podcasts! They range in subject matter. A couple are design/illustration related, a couple about music, one is all about horror movies, and another is about anything and everything. I like learning something new while i work.
Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from,
what do you do?

My name is Sara Turner. I reside in Lexington, Kentucky. And for the last 10 years my husband and I have done design, Illustration and screenprinting under the studio name Cricket Press. It started with designing and printing gigposters for local and national bands, but quickly branched into creating various event posters and now a wide range of design that's not always screenprinted.
When did you start drawing?

At age 5...at least. I stopped in college as it wasn't encouraged as a focus for Studio Majors, but as soon as I was out of school I picked it back up. Drawing satisfies me creatively more than any other medium I've tried. Luckily I was able to build a business around that passion and skill.
Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins
of your schoolbooks?

I definitely drew all over my books growing up and got in trouble for it numerous times by my parents and teachers, but i couldn't stop. I even enjoyed watching my classmates doodle on their books and folders...seeing what they liked to draw.
Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I am living off of my art. It can be stressful at times but working for yourself, doing what you love, is the best way to live!
Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

I don't do a lot of magazine/fanzine work.
Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists

you particularly like, what are your influences?

My influences come from a variety of places...movies, stories, music, everyday life. I love art that can tell a story in one image. I love creating posters that are narrative in nature...and how that story can differ between viewers.
What are the principal steps in your work ?

First I pencil and ink an illustration on bristol board. I scan it into the computer and layout my colors. Photoshop allows a lot of freedom to play with layers and colors. Once I have an approved, digital proof...I print the layers onto transparency sheets and use these to expose my screens. Once a screen is exposed and washed I have my stencil for printing. I'll need a screen for every color in the poster. A typical poster (for me) ranges from 3 to 5 colors. That's one limitation to the screenprinting process...working with a limited color palette. Which I now see as a benefit to my design aesthetic.
Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I still draw analog, but do my layout and coloring on the computer.
How long does it take you to do a poster?

From first sketch to poster in-hand...wow...I'd say on average about 15-20 hours. But, of course, not all at once.
You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel
like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses
running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are
you up for it ?

One of the most important things I've learned from working for myself is that you are not the right artist for every job. Part of your job is to let a client know when you're not the right fit...otherwise a lot of time could be wasted creating a piece your client will never be happy with. I think most artists stick with their aesthetic. I have definitely turned away work that wasn't right for me.
For which band have you already worked for?

Too many to count.
For which band would you love to work?

Last year I got to create posters for Archers of Loaf (one of my favorite bands). I'd love to continue working for them.
Do you choose the artists yourself?

They typically come to you.
What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Wondering if you've chosen the right design. There's so many possibilities!
Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

I think there is a gigposter scene, yes. If you look at anyone who attends a Flatstock (rock poster convention) or posts work on gigposters.com you can see that "scene" is getting bigger and bigger.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we
see your work , on the web or in real life?

The best praise you received lately?

The posters I created for Archers of Loaf sold out in one night. I was told my their manager my posters were the only ones that did.
What can we wish you for the future?

Continued success for our small studio. I love creating posters for bands, but I also want to concentrate more on my own art. I'm already living off my art but I want to for the rest of my life!



Aucun commentaire: