Groovy Killers on Acid (Cassidy Viser) (US)

Groovy Killers on Acid (Cassidy Viser) (US)

"Psychedelic revolution" ? I guess the word is perfectly appropriate when it comes to Groovy Killer on Acid's work. Just look at those shapes, colors and lettering and try to tell me if those posters have been made in the 60's or the 10's. Of course, if you manage to read them (and by this way manage to answer the question Are You Experienced ?) you will notice that the bands' names are 100% XXIst century...who said "Back to the Future" ?



Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we
listening to when we come to visit you?

It depends on the inspiration I have in the studio and what I’m working on at the time, but lately I’ve really been into the Black Lips, Ty Segall and Night Beats, among others, switched up with some old school Brian Jonestown Massacre

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from,
what do you do?

Im originally from Houston, TX. My parents are artists and my father was a matador so we never lived in one place for too long. When I was about 14 I discovered this new psychedelic resurgence of music and was so inspired by it that I decided to contribute to the scene in my own way by making posters for bands that I liked, which led me to form my design company Groovy Killers on Acid. I spend my time today making posters, other kinds of art, and writing for a few magazines

When did you start drawing?

I can’t remember a time that I wasn’t constantly drawing

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins
of your schoolbooks?

As a kid I would sit in on my dad’s life drawing classes, copy the art from comic books, and go to museums and copy the old masters, learning from doing

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

Luckily I have gotten to the point where I am turning a decent profit from doing what I enjoy. In addition to making posters I also have gallery shows where I sell paintings and I also write for a number of rock magazines where I am paid to do stories. I’m 17 years old and still in high school so I have to balance work with my time in school.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

I am. In addition to being a contributing writer to different publications and zines, I regularly do illustration work and comics.
 
Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists
you particularly like, what are your influences?

I am inspired by anyone that has soul, does what they love, and tries to step outside of conventional boundaries. I get the creative bug from seeing a rad live show, watching a good film, or seeing someone on the street skating that has a unique style. For influences, I would note Alphonse Mucha, Peter Max, Wes Wilson. I also really dig Rockin Jelly Bean and contemporaries like CM Ruiz and Alan Forbes, but there are too many guys out there today doing something cool to name em all

What are the principal steps in your work ?

Without exception, every poster starts with a hand drawing or painting, usually black and white charcoal on colored paper. I also usually do the majority of the lettering by hand and then vector it in Illustrator. Then I either find or create an op art background pattern to add. I feel like the strongest works look like they were done by a human being instead of a computer

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

95-100% hand, 0-5% computer

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Definitely depends on the piece, but I would say roughly 10-12 hours to completion

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel
like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses
running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are
you up for it ?

I don’t have a problem with stepping outside of my usual approach, but there are limits. I have a certain aesthetic and I feel like if anyone asked me to do a piece for them they probably know what to expect. I would be up for doing the horse running out of a sunset, but I would make it psychedelic and make it my own

For which band have you already worked for?

The Zombies, Dinosaur Jr., Slightly Stoopid, MGMT, The Dandy Warhols, and many others

For which band would you love to work?

I would love to work for Sonic Youth, Radiohead, Os Mutantes, or if there is ever a Spacemen 3 reunion!

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Getting started, I asked all the bands to do posters for them free of charge. Occasionally now I ask to do something for a band or an event I’m really into, but usually now a promoter or manager contacts me to commission me for a piece

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?
Deciding when to step back and stop adding to it

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

I don’t consider myself part of any graphic scene, because I feel like that refers more to digital arts, and I try to do more hand drawing. But there is certainly a community of poster artists which I guess I fall into

You will attend Flatstock 2012, is it the first time you take part of
such an event ? What are you expecting from it ?

This is my first time to be participating in Flatstock! I’ve attended before and had a great time seeing all the artists. I’m expecting to meet some cool people, spread the groovy word, and see some free shows at sxsw

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we
see your work , on the web or in real life?



The best praise you received lately?

I’ll say being asked to do this interview!

What can we wish you for the future?

In the near future you will see groovy killers on acid lead the world on an emerging psychedelic revolution

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Thanks man!

Aucun commentaire: