Richard Biffle (US)

Richard Biffle (US)

AI know that if you are on the blog it is certainly not to read about my own private life, but where else can I speak of it ? ;) So, as you may know, the Black Crowes (even if I hate them for not touring in France anymore) is one of my favorite band, "so what ? " you may think, so, I have to thanks them, not only for having wrote My Morning Song (among others), but for having introduced me to the xork of Richard Biffle a long time ago with a wonderful cat poster I never been able to make mine, even after years and years of search...too bad.. :(

Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Hopefiully not sirens~ Could be anything~from an audio book~NPR~Classic Rock~Grateful Dead, I like a lot of different things to listen to~ but definately the tele wont be on.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I am From Marin~ Raised in Virginia Beach, grew up there and the outher Banks. I went to Art institute of Atlanta in early 80's~ Lived in Japan and throughout the southern states most of my life~ recently lived with my beautiful wife and Muse at 9,000 feet in the colorado rocky mountains. Ready tpo go where the climate suits our clothes~ I have a 6 year old son the 3rd~ and a Step son who is 11~ I love to create~ all i need is food and creative love~

When did you start drawing?

At about my sons age now~ 6

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

totally impoved my skills by tagging the covers and margins of every book I owned~ even rentals~

Today are you living from your art, or do you do somethingelse for a living ?

I make my living on my art only~

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

older influnces are of course Beardsley,Mucha,LauTrec~ More contemporary influences are Rick Griffin,Alton Kelly,Robert Venosa,Jeff Wood~

What are the principal steps in your work ?

Composition~flare,information

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

mostly tablet now~ I oil paint regulary for myself, but not for jobs and work.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Completely varies~ on entusiasim. I have done a great poster in 3 hours~and I have taken a ridiculous amout of time and had none of it show.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

HUmmmmm? well~ I can paintlike a mf~ so not a problem there~ If some cat came up and said here 30g's paint me some horses frolicing in utopia~ I would say hell yeah~ I will even make them unicorns if you want~ Just dont let me ever see it again and let me make sure the check is good.

For which band have you already worked for?

Grateful Dead, Black Crowes, Santana,Jeff Beck, Mule, Blues Traveler, Keller Wiliams, Widespread Panic~ etc.

For which band would you love to work?

right now~ the Original Black (MF) Crowes

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

When theres too much informaton you gotta put on it. Can really trash a great design.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

Yeah, I guess? in my jam band kinda way~

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

We will be set up at Broomfield at the Phil Lesh shows inside. You can comeby and meet and greet~ we will have as much possible available. the website is olcrowstudio.com~ it was richardbiffle.com but someone stole it and it was biffle.com but someone stole that too. you can order new realeases there and look further into the portfolios over the last 25 years. Setting up gallery shows now for 2012 and will be posting that info on FB and the website.

The best praise you received lately?

Sold out in record time!







What can we wish you for the future?
 
Working on a lot of new projects the main project is a book of my art

1 commentaire:

Ruby a dit…

If you don't know Richard, you can see his soul in his art. If you do know Richard, you have been blessed with great talent in your world.
With My Love
Ruby