Jeff Wood (US Version)

Jeff Wood (French Version)

That's true Jeff got a nice beard, but be sure this is not the only good point about him, check out what he has to say, but, most of all, how sure and nearly perfect is his drawing



What are we listening to when we come to visit you?
My chickens crowing against a backdrop of world electronica, ambient psytrance, buddha lounge asian underground or Southern blues. At this moment I'm listening to Signal Path's new EP The Prosaic Fades.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I was born in 1961 in the backwoods Appalachian Mountains of Northern Georgia, USA. I made good grades in school but hated it. I would have rather been out in the woods listening to music and fishing. I started going to music shows at a very young age. I loved (and still do) the live concert experience. Through that love I was drawn to design music posters for bands and music festivals. Also I create serigraphs, oil paint and sculpt  as well as, raise rare breed chickens, organic garden and do woodworking.

When did you start drawing?

I started drawing as a young child and started selling airbrushed t-shirts when I was 14. 

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I was self taught as a child, but later attended art school and graduated with and associates degree in visual communications.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living?

My art has fed and clothed me for 31 years.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

No

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

Drugs, Sex & Rock and Roll. I was heavily influenced by the work of the 60's San Francisco poster scene artists that included Griffin, Mouse, Kelley, Moscoso and Wilson. Later I came to love the work of  artists such as Oscar Howe, Blackbear Bosin, Rance Hood, Robert Venosa, Alex Grey, Martina Hoffmann, Ernest Fuchs and other visionary masters. The psychedelic visionary  mindset induced by enthogens (tripping) has a big hand in it.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

Pencil sketches, computer, then to screen prints or canvas. Also, I often paint from abstract in a hybrid of the traditional misch technique.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

A little both most the time.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

From 1 hour to several weeks according to what the customer's budget allows.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I have a lot of input as to what imagery I illustrate for clients. They still have final approval. My paintings are strictly for me, no outside direction or influence beyond what I need to get out of my head or where the painting leads me.

For which band have you already worked for?

Too many to name, but a few of my favorites have been The Allman Brothers Band, Derek Trucks, Audioslave and Umphrey's McGee.

For which band would you love to work?

Any band in the visionary mindset like Tool

Do you choose the artists yourself?

I did in the beginning but now, most come to me.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Starting.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

No. I'm just an old school illustrator and painter. My favorite "designer" is Art Chantry. I think he's a damned genius at design. Most of today's hipster "designer" work bores me to tears.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

http://www.drowningcreek.com/, music shows and festivals

The best praise you received lately?

I have a nice beard.

What can we wish you for the future?

That I make it back to Burning Man one more time before I leave this plane of existence....

Last question:  Do you know anything about french rock posters scene ?

I've been more into European street art lately, as opposed to posters. I love the work of French artists  JR, Fafi, Koralie and I particularly love the work of Christian Guemy.

Thanx a lot for your time Jeff !

Aucun commentaire: