Scott Campbell (US Version)

Scott Campbell (French Version)

If Tame Impala or Cut Copy read this page, sure they will contact sooner or later this artist from New Orleans as its job is really personnal and far from the usual rock poster perception. No devil, nudity or skulls here, just an artistic own perception of music played by the bands !



Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Currently in heavy rotation: Twin Shadow, Tame Impala, Com Truise, Belong, Cut Copy

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I'm Scott Campbell. I live in New Orleans, Louisiana. I'm a graphic designer, artist, and illustrator who makes a lot of posters for a lot of different bands. I'm a screen printer. I'm a member of Young Monster (design / printing studio - weareyoungmonster.com). I'm also a musician; I play the drums and I love old synthesizers and drum machines.

When did you start drawing?

I started drawing at a very young age. My dad and I would have drawing contests all the time. I always won, maybe because my mom was the judge.


Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I took art classes throughout school, eventually studying printmaking and graphic design at Louisiana State University. I was most definitely a schoolbook doodler though.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I've been doing art and design full time for about 3 years


Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Not really, but I'd like to. I recently did some illustrations for GOOD Magazine.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

I'm influenced by tons of different sources: music, geometry and grids, Alvin Lustig, Joseph Muller Brockmann, old Polish posters. I'm also really inspired by a lot of current artists and designers like Bjorn Copeland, Sonnenzimmer, Landland, Damien Tran, and my fellow Young Monsters: Nick Dupey and Zach Hobbs.


What are the principal steps in your work (from start to finish) ?

I don't have a set formula. I'll usually just listen to the band I'm working for and go from there depending on their vibe. I often use a grid for layout purposes. I guess my process is fairly loose.


Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I use a combination of both


How long does it take you to do a poster?

I'll usually spend a day or so on design


You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I'm not really interested in executing other people's ideas. That's not very fun


For which band have you already worked for?

Too many to name. Recently I've done stuff for The National, Spoon, The Antlers, Yacht, Sharon Jones; The Dap Kings, Generationals, GIVERS


For which band would you love to work?

I'd love to do something for Tame Impala or Cut Copy


Do you choose the artists yourself?

No, bands / band managements or promoters usually contact me.


Can you tell us which is the greatest band to work with for posters and.... the worst ? :)

I've really enjoyed working with the National. They're really into letting the artist get their personal vision across, which I really appreciate. The worst bands to work with are the ones who never pay you.


What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?

Sometimes I might not really be into the music of the band I'm working for, so it can be hard to translate their sound into visual art.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

I suppose so, though I can't say I think of it in those terms. Websites like gigposters.com and omgposters.com, and events like Flatstock have really established a sense of community within the world of poster makers. when you meet and interact with a bunch of artists who are working in the same niche as yourself, it starts to feel like a scene.


A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

On the web:

my website - scttcmpbll.com

my Gigposters page - http://www.gigposters.com/designer/88333_Scott_Campbell.html

Dribbble: http://dribbble.com/SCTTCMPBLL

Young Monster - http://www.weareyoungmonster.com/


in real life:

Leo Handmade in Chattanooga, TN

Flatstock 29 in Austin , TX



The best praise you received lately?

I was recently asked to give a design lecture at Loyola University here in New Orleans. I was really flattered that people wanted to sit around and listen to me talk about making posters.



What are you working on at the moment and what s next ?

Just sent off some prints for Gallery 1988's upcoming Required Reading show in L.A., t-shirt designs for The Antlers, Generationals, and GIVERS, a poster for Yacht, assorted design projects here in New Orleans, working on new artwork / prints. Some of my posters are featured in the new Rockport book 1000 Indie Posters, which just came out in January.



What can we wish you for the future?

That I can continue doing what I love for a living


Last question (or joke :) ) Do you know anything about french rock posters scene ?

Can't say that I do


How would you explain that rock posters have spread so heavily over america s culture, it is quite difficult to understand for us in france where this art is nearly unknown.

Like I stated in my answer about a "Graphic Scene", websites Gigposters.com, OMGposters.com, and events like Flatstock (all of which mainly focused on shows/posters from the US and Canada) bring the poster community together and creates a buzz about the artform. Design annuals and blogs in the US seem to be enamored with posters recently too, which increases exposure as well.

1 commentaire:

Unknown a dit…

The best of new applications for any web development scheme :-
The Mobile App Development New Orleans illustrations scheming as well as all new modus operandi which will be shadowed up the splatted movements may obligate Web Design New Orleans assumed the work a right rapidity to be poignant in the bedsit a super pardon has remained specified or New Orleans App Development. Around are considerable more and over-all all thought to originate in the way App Development New Orleans of standard exertion.