Intergalactic Medium (Cale Griffith) (US)

Intergalactic Medium (Cale Griffith) (US)

Along with Rob Fitzpatrick and Christian Bland Cale is, for me, the true child of Wes Wilson and other 60s poster legends (I let you guess who :). If you add to that a sure taste when it comes to naked women, you will easily understand how Cale did his way to the blog ;) …


1. Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Right now I'm listening to ZZ Top's Tejas album... One of my favorite all time bands. Their first six or seven albums are phenomenal. Then the eighties happened.

2. Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

My name is Cale, I'm from a small town in Alabama, and a father of three sons.

3. When did you start drawing?

Probably 2nd grade. I was always drawing in school and getting in trouble for doing so.

4. Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

Nah, I went to a rural school that offered no art classes, so in the early days it was all self taught. So when I went off to college (the University of Alabama) I jumped at the chance to major in art. Perhaps not the most lucrative field to major in, but it was worth it to study under the great Alvin Sella.

5. Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

Unfortunately no. Or not yet, to be precise, there is always hope. My day job is delivery for a wine distibutor. Insert joke here.

6. Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Not as of yet, but I've really only been doing this poster thing seriously for a little over a year now, and I have been both pleasantly surprised and humbled by the way it has taken off.

7. Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

My main influences lie in the 60's San Francisco art/music scene. Wes Wilson has to be my favorite poster artist of the era, but there are a lot of fantastic artists out there now, like Kiryk Drewinski, from Berlin, and Jeff Wood from Athens, GA, plus too many more to mention. I am also influenced from artists of other genres, most notably Gonzo illustrator Ralph Steadman. You also, in my opinion, must be heavily influenced by the music, because, in the long run, thats what its all about.

8. What are the principal steps in your work ?

I do a lot of research. I want to know as much as possible about the band, venue, etc. that I'm working with, so the poster has some sort of connection to its subject matter. After sufficient research, the poster just seems to make itself.

9. Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I mostly work on computer, but i do some work by hand, and if I had the luxury of more time, i would do more by hand.

10. How long does it take you to do a poster?

How long does it take to write a smash song? It really varies. I've done some in as little as 4-5 hours and some have taken weeks. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how long it might take. The hardest lesson to learn is when to quit, when to call it finished. Otherwise you could tinker with a piece forever.

11. You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

Oh, I'm always up for new challenges and new mediums. It keeps the excitement alive.

12. For which band have you already worked for?

Mostly local bands out of Alabama, but lately I've gotten some work from Europe, such as Shizoey from Austria, and Undersmile, from the UK. Currently doing some work for Free Range Humanz, from Toronto.

13. For which band would you love to work?

Any of my favorite bands, of course; Kyuss Lives, Queens of the Stone Age, Fu Manchu, ZZ Top, Black Sabbath, SunGrazer, .....i could go on for days.

14. Do you choose the artists yourself?

If I like a band, I will try to contact them in some way, but most of the work I have done so far, the artists have contacted me.

15. What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Trying to keep it within my style, yet making it unique unto itself. That and color. Choosing the best color combinations can be daunting.

16. Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

Somewhat part of an online community, but I am very new to this game, so I know very few of the people personally. I would very much like to be more involved in the "scene".

17. A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

I hope to have a web-site going sometime in this new year, but for the time being, Facebook would be the only place to see my work on-line, at https://www.facebook.com/intergalactic.graphics. Or, if any of you are ever in the great state of Alabama, I'm always up for a visit in person! (please call ahead) :)

18. The best praise you received lately?

Wes Wilson saw my work on-line and said he liked what he saw and to keep up the work. That had me floating on clouds.

19. What can we wish you for the future?

That my poster biz continues to grow and flourish in 2012! Thanks!!!

Aucun commentaire: