Christian Bland (USA)

Christian Bland (USA)

Together with Andy Burr, and Adam Demitri, Christian Bland, mainly known for being Black Angels' electric juggist, is running Bland Design. As for Rob Fitzpatrick we really can talk here of psychedelic rock posters, in the purest Electric Grandmother & the Vulcan Gas Company style. I am sure I do not have to tell you how much I love the Black Angels (a quick tour around the blog will definitly convince you) and I must admit I love Christian's artwork as most. Both together, no need to take any substances, the trip is already there !


 
Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

on the record player is The Zombies..'The Best Of', and in the car The Beach Boys 'Little Deuce Coupe'

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I was born in Miami, FL but moved to Houston, TX when I was 7. My Dad's a preacher who starts churches. He started one in the Houston area in 1987, so that's why we moved from Miami to Houston. I went back to Florida in 1998 to go to Florida St. University on a track & field scholarship (high jump) to study advertising & graphic design. I moved back to Texas in 2002 to attend University of Texas to get my masters in advertising.

I started The Black Angels with my friend Alex Maas in 2004 and have been doing that full-time since 2006. I also do all the bands design work.

When did you start drawing?

I started drawing when I was probably 5 or so in the weekly church bulletin during my Dads sermons.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I make a living from playing & touring with The Black Angels. Whenever we have down time, I take on freelance design projects if they're to my liking. I prefer psychedelic art, so I primarily work with other psychedelic rock n' roll bands.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

every now and then a fanzine will ask for some art and i'll send it along.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

I love all the psychedelic posters from the 60's (Fillmore, Vulcan Gas Company, Avalon Ballroom, & design groups like Hipgnosis, The Fool, and Hapshash & the Coloured Coat.

My favorite poster artist is Wes Wilson who did many of the early Fillmore posters. I got to work with Wes on The latest Black Angels album 'Phosphene Dream'. He provided us with several drawings on the inside booklet of the album.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

The first thing I do is look for inspiration. Then I visualize what I want my design to look like. Then I get it out of my brain and make it tangible.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

The computer and scanner are my main tools. So i combine elements I've done by hand with the help from the modern computer.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

13 hours

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?


I mainly do stuff for The Black Angels, but if someone commissioned me to do artwork for them that inspired me, then I'd be into it. The reason I got out of advertising was because I was tired of doing art for products that weren't relevant to me.

For which band have you already worked for?

The Black Angels, the UFO Club, Christian Bland & The Revelators, Austin Psych Fest

For which band would you love to work?

Psychic Ills, Clinic, Crystal Stilts, Moon Duo, Wooden Shjips, Panda Bear, Radiohead

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Yes.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

perfecting a poster beyond the point where only you notice the imperfections. that's when i know it's time to stop.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

I think so. It seems like there's a reemergence of psychedelic art &music. I'm not very familiar with other modern psychedelic artists, but I dig all the Moon Duo album art.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

http://www.theblackangels.com/

http://www.bland-design.com/ (this sites in need of an update, just havent had the time to get to it)

You can see me on tour with the Black Angels.

What can we wish you for the future?

I'll be working on the Black Angels 4th album this winter. I like to design the album artwork while we're recording so that the visuals reflect the music.

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Aucun commentaire: