David Moreira (Skatradioh) (US)

David Moreira (Skatradioh) (US)

According to his facebook profile, Skatradioh "like(s) to screen print what (he) design(s) in (his) studio. (He)'ve done dozens of posters for local and touring bands. (He) love(s) paper and ink", but, what is more surprising is that he also says: " Eating, watching movies on vhs, art, skateboarding, screen printing, and pulling a squeegee." as hobbies. Watching movies on VHS ??? but where, in 2011, does this guy comes from ? Let try to find out below .…

What are we listening to when we come to visit you?

It's not uncommon for me to be listening to a bunch of music from the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN). Right now it's been Total Fucking Blood, Marijuana Deathsquads, Gay Witch Abortion, Skoal Kodiak, and Brute Heart. If I'm in a working grind I'll prolly put in Kylesa's Time Will Fuse Its Worth, Big Business' Mind the Drift, or Baroness.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

My name's SkatRadioh. Well not really, as a poster artist yeah, but otherwise it's David Moreira. SkatRadioh comes from one of the songs Terry S. Taylor did for Doug TenNapel's (Earthworm Jim) game The Neverhood. I was really into that soundtrack growing up and I think I can blame those two for permanently affecting me for the rest of my life. I still listen to the Neverhood Songs and sing along to all of the babbling lyrics.

Speaking of babbling... I am just the local "poster guy" in the big-small city of Duluth, MN. I came from the suburbs outside the Twin Cities and moved up north to work on a Graphic Design/Studio Art degree at the University of Minnesota, Duluth. During my years there I developed a side project of finally gathering and building the things I needed to screenprint in the various places I was renting. Now I am making the transition from being a student to working in the local arts community. I'm finding more work as a designer/printmaker, but I do spend time fulfilling various roles with the Ochre Ghost Gallery and Northern Prints Gallery.

When did you start drawing?

Since before I can remember, like everyone else.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I've been creating things for people since I was young. Once, I had a business partner in elementary school where we would make a variety of Origami to sell to kids. During that time people caught on to stuff that I would draw referenced from video game magazines and some silly comics in the rhetoric of Dav Pilkey's Captain Underpants. In high school I became more aware of the greater internet communities, Penny Arcade's Artist's Corner forum in specific, were very helpful for critique and collaboration. Towards the end of high school I was running between the Art room and Graphics Lab to complete any class projects. I was exposed to a large two-room, photographic camera which I used to make transparencies I needed to make stencils for an offset press. While mostly black and white photography and offset press was being taught in-class, I started to ask more and more about printing in the graphics club I became part of.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living?

All the time put into learning print has begun to pay off and I can now find work providing people with printed objects. Printing is not my only focus for work, but I also enjoy working in galleries that present new artists' work regularly and give the general public a place of dialogue for the things we all make. Then there's the part time regular income I can count on at pizza world...

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Roosterhouse.org has been a base for collaborating with some of the contributor's to make covers for some zines that they've written. I haven't been working on this lately, but I'd like to get back into it soon. There are a few projects still on the table for completion.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

What opened the door to doing music related poster art was seeing both DWITT and Adam Turman's posters in the Twin Cities. They both had such a graphic style and were doing posters for some of my favorite bands too. All kinds of things, both poster and non-poster related, are now influencing me.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

Look at a bunch of photos, listen to a lot of music, and design. Get transparencies, use my hanging lamps to expose my photographically sensitive screens, and washout the image in a large sink. Mix my inks, put the screen into some clamps on a table I built, start pulling a squeegee by hand and printing onto paper.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

Most of my work is done with a tablet on my computer, but I will sometimes draw with pencil and ink and scan it in to work on it digitally.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

A few to a dozen hours or more for the design and a couple more hours to print. I'll usually take a few days to design and then print.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I'm always up for a challenge to try some new things, but I have been using a lot of the same tools and techniques for many projects. Some of the work I do for clients end up needing to look a certain way, maybe cleaner or with a certain subject. Luckily I have control in many of the projects I take on. The line quality is pretty much the same across the board and I really like the occasions where I can do drawings with multiple overlapping perspectives of a subject.

For which band have you already worked for?

I've had the chance to promote In Defence, Total Fucking Blood, Skoal Kodiak, Sass Dragons and even the Meat Puppets (in a print collaboration with Jay Whitcomb). Lots of my posters are for smaller local acts that are supporting a touring band.

For which band would you love to work?

I'm still looking for a chance to do something for STNNNG or Skoal Kodiak again. It would be awesome to do a Kylesa/Baroness/Big Business @ the Triple Rock or First Avenue in Minneapolis. I kind of owe it to them for listening to them so much!

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Not really. Usually someone I know is setting up a show or event here in Duluth and I'm the poster friend who might have time to make something.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?

Spending too much time designing a poster. I can end up being overly scrupulous sometimes, but the reward is that I end up with something I can truly enjoy.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else?

I've done my work both independently and collaboratively out of the interest of printmaking in general and sharing that learning experience with others. I like teaching people how to print and this includes people of various arts and non-arts backgrounds. The GigPosters.com forums provide me a connection to talk with and see other print artists' work. Currently I don't adhere to any one specific visual group right now, but have been recently thinking about working cooperatively with other printmakers to develop a large studio for ourselves.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

Updates on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkatRadioh

Full documentation on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skatradioh/

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/SkatRadioh

For Sale: http://www.gigposters.com/classifiedads/u31840-skatradioh.html

The best praise you received lately?

I've been hearing good things from some of the people putting together the major Duluth Homegrown Music Festival. This is a week+ long fest with hundreds of local bands at multiple venues. They're starting to ask me about potentially doing some work for the next upcoming festival and I'm very excited to do such a cool project.

What can we wish you for the future?

To keep printing and work with art!

Thanks!

Aucun commentaire: