Ammo (FR)

Ammo (FR)

Christmas time is here again, and I wanted to give you (my worldwide readers) a truly rare gift. I must admit I did not have to look really far to find it, as he is french, worldwide known if you consider he worked for bands such as Unsane, Isis, Keelhaul, Aguirre, Weedeater, Zoroaster or Eyehategod and he has been kind enough to do the whole interview in english (which is not that easy especially when you are french, and I know what this really means). So today the Crew is happy to welcome one of the most talented poster artist I discovered lately … Le Grand Ammo!


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Yop ! Well, for the moment, I'm in my noise rock period, "experimental" or more "classical", "old" and "actual" huhuhu.

Just now, I listen to Satanized, Monno, AIDS Wolf, Bear Claw, Drunk with Guns, Hella... stuffs like this.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I was born in the south west of France, near Bordeaux, I lived there for a couple of years.

I moved with my girlfriend in Brussels, Belgium, 2 years ago, and we're quite happy here !

I try to live with my drawings, so I do different kind of work : illustrations, comics, posters, teaching...

When did you start drawing?

Since I can hold a pen I think.

I always liked to draw, during my study I was so bored that I just draw all the time.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I began with my schoolbooks, then I continued at the high school wich was an "applied art" branch.

After that I tryed Beaux arts, and it was completly useless, I was completly disgust by school so I quit and

I worked and study by myself.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I try to, so I do different kind of work : illustrations, comics, posters, teaching...

For now, a lot of things happen and I work on my first personnal comics with an editor back my ass !! Cool !

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

More and more, thats really cool ! Seems people liked my work more and more, yaaahaaa !

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

I've always been a big fan of "art nouveau" : A. Mucha, I. Bilibin... and I was also amazed by old engraved stuff you could find in old children's book, also artists like G. Doré and old medical's illustration facinate me.

I also like old american's typography at the end of the 19's century like the insurance's maps or stuff like that.

In fact, I really like tedious and high detailled work, it's really obsess me.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

Well, I generally do a quick sketch, for setting up everything. Then, if I need some doc, I began to look for it on the net or with my camera or with friend's fotos...

Then I do a really detailled sketch(I more and more apreciate this part) sometimes the type is separate, depends.

Finally, I put all that mess on my light table and I ink all with a brush.

I usually use the computer for the colored part and thats it !

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I want to do more and more things by hand, like each color layer on rhodoid with felt selflight, things like that.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Depends, generally 3 or 4 days of full time job.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

Huuuu, actually... yes ! Definitly ! Exept if I have 6 month to work on it and a big fucking salary !!!

For which band have you already worked for?

Unsane, Isis, Keelhaul, Aguirre, Weedeater, Zoroaster, Eyehategod, In Zaire, Headwar...

For which band would you love to work?

For now : Neurosis, Akimbo, Dark castle, Enablers... As a fantasm : The Jesus Lizards, Unwound, Shotmaker, Dazzling killmen, Harkonen... And many others that no longer exist.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Most of the time, yes, but I almost never say no to work for a band, it's my participation in music's world

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Composition/typography

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

yes, like everybody else who loves music and does things with their two hands with pleasure.





A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

The best praise you received lately?

Cool ! So, website : http://ammoamo.blogspot.com/

In real life, I had an exhibition in liege, and now it'll move to Brussels then Paris, more info soon;

The best praise arrived two weeks ago. I received a financial assistance for work on my comics, thats was really hopeful !!!

What can we wish you for the future?

Work for great bands, finish my book and having fun, that would be not bad...

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Aucun commentaire: