Dead Meat Design (Josh davis) (US)

Dead Meat Design (Josh davis) (US)

"I draw, cut, paste, splatter, fart, scan, fuck up", those farts indeed, maybe is it the first thing you have to think about to try to explain why some of Josh's posters are so disturbing when first quickly saw. You have no particular idea of what's on the picture at this first moment, but you feel like scared and fascinated. Quite difficult to explain, but perfect to live as an experience. This is definitly this mix of images that makes his posters so unique, hope he will manage to explain everything hereunder









Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Bob Seger, that's all I listen to.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I'm Josh Davis and I'm from Chicago! I'm a designer/artist and a screenprinter. I make bathroom humor come alive on paper basically.

When did you start drawing?

I've always drawn, I stopped for awhile and then came back to it. I got into collage sometime in highschool, I get bored sticking o one medium so I jump around alot. I have no qualms with using photoshop either.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

yes.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I live for my art, but not exactly from it! I"m doing a heckova lot better than I was doing when I started about 11 years ago...

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

nope. but I would!

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

Influences: fast food, tv, classic mens magazines, smut, spooky stuff, slimey stuff, etc. Artists I admire are Ron Liberti, Pettibon, Keith Harring, James Spader, Dean Stockwell, Dave Sim, etc...

What are the principal steps in your work ?

I really don't have one set formula when designing a poster, It usually starts out pretty organic by gathering images and inspiration while driving around town. Then it's just a matter of putting it all together somehow in a way that makes me laugh.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I draw, cut, paste, splatter, fart, scan, fuck up, etc...

How long does it take you to do a poster?

I am a pretty slow worker. I get distracted easily so it can take a couple days to a couple weeks (depending on my deadline). I like to step away and come back to it so the design doesn't become stale.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I generally get hired for doing what I do, I feel like if you want something made by me, you pretty much know what you are getting into... I have gotten some lame requests, I'll usually try and do something along the lines of the request but put my own stupid touches on it...

For which band have you already worked for?

I've made art for some bigger bands such as Melvins, Thee Oh Sees, Fucked Up, Lightning Bolt, Naked Raygun, Vivian Girls, Alkaline Trio, etc... and a lot of smaller bands that noone cares about...

For which band would you love to work?

Bob Seger.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

rarely.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

I generally don't think there is a difficult part to it, unless I am just having an off week and can't come up with any ideas or concepts.

You feature in the new gigposters 2 book, how did you find yourself involved in it ?

It was very flattering. Clay (Gigposters.com creator) simply sent me an email asking if I'd like to be a part of it, I said yes. Super nice of him!

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

I guess... Chicago has a great "scene" of poster artists, Steve Walters (a mentor of mine in a way), Ryan Duggan, Johnny Sampson, Keith Herzik to name just a few. It's really great here cuz everyone is friendly with one another and help each other out and support one another! I am very fortunate to be a part it!

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

My website is http://www.deadmeatdesign.com/, it features my poster work, other design work and my finer personal art! My posters hang all over Chicago in record stores etc and I occasionally am involved in gallery shows both here in Chicago and elsewhere!

The best praise you received lately?

Being hired by an amazing Huge local brewery called 3 Floyds for label and tapper designs is an enormous compliment!

What can we wish you for the future?

a nap.

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Aucun commentaire: