Stefan Osciatka (Czech Republic)

Stefan Osciatka (Czech Republic)

If I was asked, one day, where my passion for rock posters come from, I would probably say that it comes from my childhood. My parents used to have (and still have as far as I know) little Mucha's posters at home and I was facinating by them (the posters....well, my parents...depending on the day ;). Later, when I grew up, I discovered that some guys from San Francisco were inspiring themselves from the art of Alfons Mucha to produce wonderful posters for gigs. Art and Rock ? Rock and Art? that was exactly all I was looking for. All this little story about me, just to say that today, it's a real pleasure to welcome a czech citizen on the site. And not only because he is czech; which is already an excellent reason, but also because, once again, czech art just touched me in the heart. Thanks Stefan !



Of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

James Harries.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I am 26. Now I live and work in Prague. As to art i do painting, designing posters and making author's books. I also write poetry and songs. In this time I'm preparing my second album.

When did you start drawing?

When I was a child I drew my own Spiderman comics. At 15 I started designing posters for rock bands and for festivals.


Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I studied art teaching. However, in my opinion, there's no need of special education to make a strong piece of art.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

Partly I live from my art. I work in National Technical Museum of Prague, for which I´ve designed a couple of posters recently.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

No, I'm not.



Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

My influence comes from the Czech art of Jiri Trnka (illustrator and puppet maker), Josef Capek (painter and illustrator) and Karel Teissig (graphic and poster designer) . I'm also strongly inspired by the Czech movie poster of 60s-80s.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

Pencil drawing -> pen drawing -> scaning-filtres.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I work either by hand and on my computer. I usually start with hand drawing, or making some collages. After that I work on computer. Currently I am trying to free from computer work.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

It depends on whether there's an order of my work in the begining and if so, who makes it. The longest time I made a poster was about a month.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I think that the impulse to create should be honest. No pretending.

For which band have you already worked for?

The Swell Season, The Frames, James Harries, Nina Hynes, Longital, etc. And I also make posters for my own shows.

For which band would you love to work?

My dream has already come true, I' ve made a poster for Glen Hansard. I would also love to design posters for other favourite musicians of mine. Josh Ritter, Damien Rice, Wovenhand, Jakob Dylan, there are many of them.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

It depends. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

To make a sponsor satisfied while staying true to my own vision.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

It's not up to me to judge.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

Well, there are piecies of my work on http://www.stefanosciatka.com/ or you can check out my facebook profile. From time to time I also show my work in galleries.

The best praise you received lately?

Glen Hansard kissed my hand:)

What can we wish you for the future?

Health for me and my family.

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Thanks, my pleasure!



Aucun commentaire: