Clockwork Pictures (Italy)

Clockwork Pictures (Italy)

Clockwork Pictures is a small factory from Italy, led by the guy you can see on the picture and who will always remember me of Steve Jobs as Steve was his profile picture on facebook when I met him, and I spent a little bit of time wondering how he could look like. But enough speak, and a great thanx for the interview and the pretty interesting video embedded at the end which will explain you (almost) all you need to know on how silkscreening !



Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

my playlist varies a lot, but probably you have a lot of chances to hear Bowie, NIN and The Cure because I have their full discography..

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I was born and Raised in Rome, Italy, and now I'm 39. I started working in visual arts almost without even noticing.. I was just doing something I love and bit by bit became a job. I mainly worked as a Freelance for magazines and publishers as graphic designer and illustrator, here and there writing tutorials and technical stuff for italian CG magazines. I had also some experience as a visual designer for TV motion graphics, but that was a minor part that survives just when I go to gigs and venues as a VJ. I promote myself as a visual designer: I use everything nI need to make my visions (or other people's visions) become visible. Photography also had a spin on me in the last 5-6 years but I cannot say it is really bringing any serious money!

When did you start drawing?

as a kid, for sure even if I cannot reconnect the exact moment I started.. I remember I loved Walt Disney comics I spent a lot of dime drawing Donad Duck.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I am mainly self taught, pretty much born digital and only later moved to traditional techniques. My studies in architecture probably helped, but not that much, at least in term of technical skills.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

Actually I am 50 and 50, partially working in Training and partially as a visual artist. working hard to shift to that 100% ;-)

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

I shot regularly for a Goth /new Wave Italian music magazine called Ritual.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

as I usually say: too many to mention all. Classical art, japanese manga and illustrators, Norman Rockwell and Giacomo Balla, Dave McKean just as Art Nouveau in general, dutch and german graphic design.. I have a bit of a mess of influences in my mind actually, wich I think reflects into the fact that the appeareance of what I produce changes a lot.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

struggle for a vision and a concept: usually if I can communicate well with my client this part comes more easily.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

really 50-50: often I bounce back between analog and digital many times until I get to the result I like. sometimes start with a digital prototype of the general composition, print it and then use it as a model for a hand drawing, or otherwise start with a sketch that I use a guideline for a photo composition.. even 3D sometims.. or putting objects on my flatbed scanner.. whatever works... generally I find that I work best if I not stay stick to a medium in particular.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

considering the printing process, I would say about 5-7 days.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

the reason why I keep my other job is to have the privilege of being able of selecting my clients: I have worked for about 14 years, then looked back and realized that the most part of my portfolio had been drawn by the hands of my clients, not mine, and among these a lot of stuff was crap, horrible to show and keeping on on working that way would have led me nowhere. the more I push my clients to trust me and judge only after the work is done, the more I get satisfied customers.

For which band have you already worked for?

well, few italian ones, even if I've been into graphic design since 20 years now, I started printing only 5 months ago :D among these: Bohémien, NoFun, Avant-Garde..I am mainly into the goth and new wave indie rock.

For which band would you love to work?

anyone that appears in my "most played" playlist. but also I'd love to work for anyone who may have a brilliant vision in their heads and need someone to turn that into reality

Do you choose the artists yourself?

sometimes I promote myself, sometimes they come a me. there is almost no poster scene here in Italy, few bands rely effectively on this as a way to promote themselves: in this moment most of the times it's me running after them and making them aware of this possibility

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

dealing with the customer :-D

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

really don't know how to answer to this :-D

I knew you through IPRA's site, can you tell us more about the site ? WHat does such an exposure change for you ?

I'm quite new to IPRA, and I recently met their founders at Flatstock in Hamburg: since you met me from this site, I guess it is giving me more visibility! :-D

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

on my website! there is also a "store" section, for those who may like to enjoy some prints ;-)

The best praise you received lately?

I was at flatstock europe 6: in the last day a girl bought one of my posters and after she had it rolled in her hands started jumping and caressing it just as if it was a child, saying "it's mine! it's mine!": I just could not believe to see a stranger so happy to have something done with my own hands.

What can we wish you for the future?

design more, draw more, print more. making beatiful things for a living is a privilege, I'd love to be able to keep it for life!
 






















Short video from Clockwork Pictures explaining briefly (but clearly) the process:


Aucun commentaire: