José Miguel Canales (Chile)

José Miguel Canales (Chile)

Coming from a long and skinny portion of earth, as he says, José is our first guest from Chile and he is a lucky guy to leave in such a beautiful country. So lucky ? well, for the beauty of its lanscapes, no doubt that Chile is nearly unbeatable, but, when it comes to rock posters, maybe is it a little bit more difficult to find it wonderful. José is here to testify that quality is there too and, who knows, to show the way to other potential chileans artists !

Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Hello!

Now I'm listening Winter Song from the Flying Saucer Attack's album called 'Mirror' (2000).

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

My name is José Miguel Canales, I'm 26 years old Graphic Designer and come from a long and skinny portion of earth called Chile in south america.

When did you start drawing?

I don't remember, but my father still kept some sketches of Batman and some clowns I did when I was around 5 years.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I like to think i follow some technical norms learned at the design school, but I think I learned more on my own, absorbing all kinds of pictures and graphics that appear daily in my life. At the end of the day it's my eye and my senses that makes the decision on a design or whatever I do.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

My art keeps me alive, but I can't eat for this. I'm currently working in a huge human resources company, where I'm the editorial designer.



Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Not really. It would be great if we had platforms for all independent artists could show their work in an honest and selfless way.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

Music is all the inspiration that i need to do some work, sometimes the inspiration also comes from little details that flashed me out and cleared the ideas in my mind.

Everything around me serves as influence, but I respect a lot the people of Ames Bros and Invisible Creature, their work its fascinating and very cool.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

I am very messy to work, but I quickly try to define the concept or the main image that I use. After that I usually take many twists to develop preliminary proposals in diagramming and color untill achieve a result that leaves me satisfied.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

Almost all by computer, but it depends on what I have in mind... sometimes is much easier and faster do some sketches on paper then I scan and coloring in the computer.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Since I'm working on it, not more than one day.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I'm not sure if I have a "very distinctive style", but if someone comes up with an idea that doesn't pleases me, I try to reach a mutual agreement... after all, if you ask me to do a job it's because you like what I do, isn't? hahahahaha.

For which band have you already worked for?

Well, I play in a band called Bravo Bravo, so I do almost all the posters of the shows where we play. Some other local bands I worked are Matias Cena, Tenemos Explosivos, Distancia.

Years ago, I worked in a booking agency where I had de opportunity to design street posters for artists like Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, Toto, Bela Fleck & The Flecktones and Jethro Tull.

For which band would you love to work?

It's hard to answer that question... but with all my favorite bands! Animal Collective, Battles, Tortoise, The Mars Volta... just to name a few of them.


Do you choose the artists yourself?

Mostly of times the bands ask me for a poster because they know me and/or are my friends... I supposed they like my work too! hahahaha.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Definitely finish it and say "I'ts done!"



Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

I don't think so. There are more artists, but I don't know them personally and we're not organized.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

Well, in real life you can find me at the streets riding my bike. In the web you can see some of my work on my portfolio and on my flickr, feel free to contact me for what you want, I'ill be happy to answer any question!

The best praise you received lately?

Have been choosen for an interview in a french blog!

What can we wish you for the future?

A lot of posters to come and print all of them!

Aucun commentaire: