Joanna Wecht (US)

Joanna Wecht (US) (French Version - en cours)

No, rock posters are not only tits, skulls and devils, some girl tend to proof that it can be a little bit more creative than what we usually expect from such an art. Joanna is one of those girls....





What are we listening to when we come and visit you?

I am mostly into all types of music so it depends on my mood for that day or week. I mostly listen to the older music and as of lately I am really into The Crystals and Phil Spector older hits.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who you are, where are you from, what do you do?

I'm an east coast gal and have lived up and down the entire east coast growing up. I am originally from New York and moved and went to college in Savannah, Ga. I like to all myself a mutt because I've been everywhere and really don't call a place a home for myself. I guess the closest to that would be NY. I am now living in Portland, Or and trying a new environment for myself. I am a freelance artist but I am going to start school soon in Portland for acute care and other medical classes. I tend to keep my work and posters as a hobby or most importantly I just need to be creating as much as I can. It's extremely relaxing.

When did you start drawing?

I don't consider myself a drawer but an illustrator who likes to take apart things and place them back together. My drawing skills are not bad but they are also not good.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I have to admit that being in art college helped me a great deal to be more creative and more importantly to be more aware of layout, color, grids, and etc.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living?

I have never once tried to live off my art. That is an entire level of stress and hard work that needs to be looked after 24/7. If I would try to do that I believe that I would burn myself out and not enjoy creating
posters or anything else that is remotely interesting. I tend to finish school for nursing to make enough money to pay rent and to buy supplies so I can keep on creating. Most girls shop for clothes or , etc. I rather spend my money on inks, screens, and other materials any day.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Not regularly but I have been and have worked for all those things above once or twice in the past.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artist/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

My influence comes from how I feel and just my personal issues. I also get a HUGE influenced by the 50's and found imagery of women in that time frame. My biggest fans in art and graphic design are TIbor Kalman, Keith Haring, Clayton Brothers, and Art Chantry.

What are the principal steps in your work?

Basically I head to the local library and look at old magazines from the 40's all the way to the 70's. I tend to find an image that sounds and feels like that band that I am working on that time. From there I will search for
other images to over lap the main image until I come up with my final image and add the type last.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I use my computer to do my seps and to choose my color mostly. I am not the biggest computer savvy person so it's easier for me to most of my work by hand but I have to admit that I get more comfortable with the computer that had lead to me to be more neater and aware of things that I once used to do. At one point I did not care if I had over printing or a bleed but now being aware of the programs I tend to be more neater.

How long does it take you do a poster?

I have major issues when creating and I am never ever happy with what I do. It can take me from start to day of show at times. For one poster I will create roughly 4 to 5 different posters for that one show. So I would say it takes me days, weeks, to create a poster.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horse running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it?

No not at all, I like a challenge and I am sure at the end of the design you will be able to see my distinctive style in it. I have done things in the past that was out of my element and it seems to go smoothly.

For which band have you already worked for?

Mudhoney, Heart, The Doobie Brothers, Swans, Sleepy Sun, Wolf Parade, Tame Impala, Shonen Knife, Drive-By Truckers, Man or Astro-man?, Ice Cube and many many more.

For which band would you love to work?

NEW ORDER!!!!!!MY FAVORITE BAND!!!!!!!

Do you choose the artist yourself?

Yes, most of the time I tend to pick out bands that would suit my style. I love creating rock posters for female bands or singers the most.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?

For me is never ever being happy with my design. But as for a part that would be difficult I would have to say type.

Do you think you are part of a "graphic scene", if so who else?

Yes, I would like to think I am part of the poster/graphic scene. gigposters.com has opened the door for myself and many other talented artist from all over the states to Europe. You all should check it out.

You can see my work at joannawecht.com or in several publications through out United States. You can also head to gigposters.com If you want to see me in person come by to Portland, Or.

The best praise you received lately?

Hmmmmm I am totally modest so I really have no idea what to say about this question.

What can we wish you for the future?

To finish school help others that are sick and ill and keep on creating art on my days off and hope to have enough money to travel a flatstock and Europe for an art show.

Do you know anything about french rock poster s scene?

Not really BUT I am aware of several amazing talented artist that live in France that tend to show their work on gigposters. I also know a little about the poster scene in France and other countries from college.

Aucun commentaire: