Farley Bookout (US)

Farley Bookout (US) (French Version - en cours)

Once again the Crew is proud to welcome a female drawer on the site (too female maybe ;) ). Thanx a lot to this happy new mum to have found time between baby bottles and short nights to answer our questions.





Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

If I am working on a poster for a particular band, I most likely would be listening to their music. Otherwise, Low, Mice Parade, Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span are in heavy rotation.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

Grew up Navy, so I moved around a lot. Consider my hometown to be Newport, Rhode Island - but after 20 years and my own house, a husband and raising a daughter - Austin, Texas is pretty much my home

When did you start drawing?

I started drawing really in the 2nd grade - mostly horses. I grew up riding and rode until my late teens. I was not a popular kid in schools, so I thought most of the day about being with my horses. Once I got into High School, my art was taken more seriously and encouraged to develop, so I went that route.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I had art classes through high school, took night classes at RISD and then moved to Austin, Texas to study at UT. I left drawing behind for many years because i couldn't find much support at the school at that time - there really was no illustration department and it was difficult to find a place in the painting department. I once had a professor whose only critique of my piece was that it was "too feminine". I still have no idea what that means. So, I ended up getting a degree in fine art photography.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I can't say I am living from my art. I left my professional office job when we brought home our daughter. With a child, I do not have much time to crank work out to make it incredibly profitable. Rock posters are also not a huge ticket item unless you have the weight and history of some of the top artists . I love doing gig posters because of the mutually beneficial relationship, but have been trying to spend more time on art prints and freelance illustration.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

No, but open to the idea.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

My father is an avid historian - especially the Civil War and WWII. He had rows of books of Brady photos and propaganda posters from WWI and WWII. I would say that Julia Margaret Cameron, Joseph Leyendecker and Howard Christy were a few of my biggest influences from the beginning.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

Clean my studio - then draw. I use only pencil and a kneaded eraser.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

All my illustration is done by hand in pencil. I use photoshop to make my separations for the films.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Too long. i am not fast. Usually about a week or two of concept and drawing, another week for separations, and then a little over a week for printing. it mostly depends upon my schedule as a mother. when my daughter is in school, i can print 1 color a day. My posters are usually 6 color.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I like to have a challenge and i can certainly take on new subjects - but i can't get away from my style. You won't see me doing large-breasted hotties on muscle cars. Unless it is for a humorous project or charity.

For which band have you already worked for?

I have done posters for the Black Keys, Spoon, Mono, Florence and the Machine, John Vanderslice, Fleet Foxes, Bowerbirds, and more. But I still consider myself a 'newbie'. As I have said, I don't work very fast.

For which band would you love to work?

Neko Case, another Low poster, Bon Iver, Camera Obscure, tons of others including Neil Diamond. Seriously, I love Neil Diamond.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Sort of split 50/50

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Definitely not coming up with the concept - but the question as to whether the band will like/ approve of my concept.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

No - I don't consider myself a graphic artist at all. More like an old-school illustrator that fell into screen printing because there is a print shop in my garage.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

On gigposters.com, EmpirePresstx.com, Facebook. In real life - only my collectors walls (not mine) and the Bouldin Creek Cafe in Austin, Texas. They are lovely friends who gave me a permanent wall.

The best praise you received lately?

Best is from a friend that said she has lived most of the moments in my posters.

What can we wish you for the future?

I'd like to do more editorial work, perhaps concept for gaming (as long as I don't have to do the animation), and a few intense art prints. As well as raise a kick-ass daughter.

Last question : Do you know anything about french rock posters scene ?

Unfortunately, no. Do tell.

Aucun commentaire: