invsble studio (Singapore)

invsble studio (Singapore)

It is a long time I have been trying to find contacts on the Asian poster scene, this is one of the reasons why I am so happy to welcome Errol from Invsble Studio on the blog today. Dear reader, if you have any name to provide me witrh regarding this part of the world, feel free to contact me ;)



Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Hi there! I seem to be on a nostalgic 90s streak at the moment. A lot of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Pixies... Maybe it's also because of the Pearl Jam Twenty documentary I just watched last week and all the Nirvana 20th anniversary shows and tributes happening right now.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I'm an art director in an advertising agency in Singapore and, at the same time, I co-run a record label together with my wife. Busy right? Invsble Studio is just an outlet for me and collaborators to publish gig poster art and other fun design projects on the side.

When did you start drawing?

Hahah. Since I can remember! My parents are really supportive of me and got me to join drawing competitions and creative art classes at a pretty early age. I didn't win any big prizes though.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

In secondary school (high school), I remember drawing logos of all the cool brands on my work books. I only started formal art training in a local polytechnic majoring in graphic design and advertising.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I'm kind of living from my "art"... Not my gig poster art but from commercial art. We all have to pay bills sooner or later.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Are you talking about the DIY-painstakingly-photocopy-and-staple-pages-and-pages-of-art-and-prose kind of zine? There are not a lot of those zines out here in Singapore any more. I guess it's a dying "art" with the easy accessibility and publishing features of blogs and facebook et al.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

In terms of gig poster art, I particularly love the work of Kevin Tong (Tragic Sunshine). His detailing and compositions are just amazing. I take a certain inspiration from his work and try to incorporate textures and details into my own work. Coming from a graphic design background, I also love the work of Jason Munn (The Small Stakes). I like how he flips the design idea of the poster/band/theme and make you take the lateral leap in your mind to give you that AH-HAH moment.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

I try to work out a concept or inspiration from the band's name or music or background. Then I'll sketch out the idea and do some visual research. i then take everything to my mac and rough out the layout and design. Usually at this stage I'll send a rough to the band's management or the promoter for approval. Once things are approved, I'll take a couple of hours/days refining the design, colours and typography. I'll give the final design the overnight test just to make sure things are right. I'm kind of a perfectionist like that.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I do most of the work on the computer. I work with a Wacom pad and sometimes sketch direct to screen, although nothing is as gritty and real as ink and paper.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

About a month or two, depending on how busy I am at work.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

Does it have to be a sunset? Hahaha... I don't think I have a very distinctive style. I only started doing gig posters a year back, so I'm still working on my style and personality. With that said, if the band is called Water Horses and Sunsets and that idea works for the poster, why not?

For which band have you already worked for?

I have done posters for +/-{plus/minus}, The Flaming Lips, Russian Circles, MONO, Hurts, Envy and I'm currently working on one for The National.

For which band would you love to work?

Broken Social Scene. They've performed in Singapore twice, but the opportunity to do posters for them never appeared.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

I would prefer if I like the artists and his music and that it inspires me. I don't think I could put 100% into a poster for music that I don't know or don't love.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Thinking of the idea. Getting inspiration.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

I don't think I'm a part of a "Graphic Scene" if there is one. It's more like friends whom I hang out and meet at art shows and music gigs. Two Singaporean artists friends you need to check out:

Speak Cryptic http://www.speakcryptic.com/

Kristal Raelene Melson (She was the artist collaborator on The Flaming Lips poster) http://www.kristalmelson.com/

There isn't much of a "poster scene" here in Asia. Not that I'm aware of. Hopefully it will grow with the growing music scene and as more bands come to Asia for shows.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

Buy my posters here invsblestudio.bigcartel.com

The best praise you received lately?

"You rock lah, Errol" ("Lah" is a Singaporean colloquial phrase)

What can we wish you for the future?

Never ending inspiration from music and art.

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

You're welcome!

Aucun commentaire: