Olaf Ladousse (US Version)

Olaf Ladousse (French Version - en cours)

Recently I was looking for spanish poster artists (and you will see soon that I met quite a lot) but I didn't know, at that time, that I will finally meet the human proof of the fact that Rock Poster Scene has no borders. What could be a nightmare for most of french foreign affair minister ( a Cypriot-Turkish immigrant with a Swedish name and French surname living in Madrid ) is a true blessing for rock poster art and humor, but let this guy express himself ...


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

If you are lucky, Lautaresca music from Romania. If you bring a bottle of beer with you I might be cool and switch from old gypsy tunes to Rumanian beat of Sincron. Then when the bottle is empty I'll play my favourite Cecil Taylor free jazz record to be sure you leave quickly. But if you have the bad idea to come with a joint I might play the Finnish Kemialliset Ystävät or the clever Linton Kwesi Johnson. I only play Latin music for dancing and I don't dance with strangers.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I'm a Cypriot-Turkish immigrant with a Swedish name and French surname living in Madrid. I used to play bass, then guitar in a folk-core all-girl band before switching bended-circuits. I draw to make a living but I'm much more interested in music than images. I also publish the fanzine ¡Qué Suerte!, the best mute-international comix from the last 20 years. I fix political posters with El Cartel in the streets. I get the kicks designing neon lights when I have the opportunity.

When did you start drawing?

When I arrived in Madrid looking for a job as an industrial designer; I found none and I recycled myself into an illustrator following the advice of my professional sister.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I only learnt technical drawing and improved my linocut printing by myself with an old "Boston" machine from 1870.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I breath for living and I get paid for my art.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Yes, too much. And not that much with magazines.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

From anonymous images that I cross in the street to the finest illustrators I found in books and zines. I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to publish most of them in ¡Qué Suerte! To name only girls: Caroline Sury, Sophie Dutertre, Julie Doucet...

What are the principal steps in your work ?

To make a rough, then to cut it inverted in linoleoum, then printing it, scanning, and all the photoshop tricks to go on the web.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I handle the computer and cut my fingers with other tools. Blood and bits.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

From 15 minutes to 1500. The fastest happens to be the best ones, so after 1500 minutes of tunning I stop.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I'm not good enough to paint such a piece of art. I'm trapped in my style and would like to hang around other people's.

For which band have you already worked for?

I'm proud of having the opportunity to make a gig poster for Mike Watt, but also Ulan Bator Trio, Doorag (a 15 minutes one)... And rock record covers (not yet for Laturesca muzic) from Atom Rhumba, Tres Delicias, Jonston... and all the bands from my friends that have the good taste to invite me to some beer and a smoke from time to time.

For which band would you love to work?

Romica Puceanu and Dona Dumitru Siminica

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Not yet, certainly soon because of this interview

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

To please the bad taste from others. I'm lucky enough not to have that problem often.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

Yes, but because of my collaboration with El Cartel, we are rare activists of political concern in the graffiti scene.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

Better in real life on the walls of the streets. But if you are not lucky enough to cross our way, visit the web:
http://blogolaf.blogspot.com/
http://www.elcartel.es/
http://www.olafladousse.com/ and enjoy the virtual doorag: http://www.olafladousse.com/musica/musica.htm

The best praise you received lately?

A kiss from my girlfriend

What can we wish you for the future?

To keep on travelling with my band LCDD (http://www.myspace.com/lcdd)

Can you tell us a little bit more about the spanish poster scene ?

There is no much remarkable about posters, more interesting are the street painters like 3TTTman, El Tono, nano4814, Remed, etc.

Last question: Do you know anything about french rock posters scene ?

I'm a big Baldo fan and Le Dernier Cri collaborators in general.

Thanx a lot for your humor and answers, hope to see you soon on the blog !

Aucun commentaire: