Nick Rhodes (US Version)

Nick Rhodes (French Version - en cours)

Once again, it is thanx to a very well known site about rock posters that I met Nick Rhodes. He just wanted to know if I would like ton have english artists online. I must admit that, in a first time, I was a bit fed up with british after a full week end of "royal wedding", but I finally decided that I should maybe give him its chance, and here we are now, that was the good thing to do ...



Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

I am listening to the Twilight Singers new album Dynamite Steps on Sub pop. I'd have to say I am a huge fan of the band.
 
Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

My name is Nick Rhodes, I am an illustrator and Screen printer. In other parts of my life, I teach Graphics at a local college, and I manage a contemporary Art gallery in Manchester.
When did you start drawing?

Well, probably around the age of 3! I was an early starter. I used to draw my own aircraft, airports,anything aircraft related. Something which I still do to this day!
Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

Well scribbling in borders of work books at at school and home.
I didnt formally study Art at school, however I did go on to study 3D design at college, and eventually went on to study and graduate Fine Art painting at degree level Manchester University
Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

Well as you can see from a previous answer I hold down 3 jobs! So I am trying to!
Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

No, not really. I am however working on a ???

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

Robert Crumb. Rayond Pettibon. 2 major artists that I keep returning to. Plus Gilbert Shelton. Seeing his work last year in Austin was a real big thing for me.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

Listen to music, then day dream, then really listen to the lyrics of a song, then sketch. Then on to Photoshop to tidy art up, and then sometimes on to Screen printing
Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

Depends on the work and of course the time I have! I would love to be able to draw more and more, however at this moment in time its a mixture.
How long does it take you to do a poster?

On average around 3 solid days, from idea to finished illustration, sometimes longer. Depends on the amount of detail I put in.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

Well , I would be pleased a person had contacted me. However if they are contacting me to produce something like that, I would put my stamp on it. No messing.
For which band have you already worked for?

Queens of the Stone Age, Masters of Reality, The Twilight Singers, Mark Lanegan, The National, Dirty Three, 
 
For which band would you love to work?

Soundgarden, my first ever band that their music clicked with me.
Do you choose the artists yourself?

Sometimes, I am always scouting and emailing/pestering managers of bands etc.
What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

The fonts. Fonts can change a feel of a poster in a milli second. To this day I still leave fonts to the last thing I illustrate in my work. 
Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

Yes, a global scene of gigposter arteests. Gigposters.com is the virtual place to hang out.
A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

I have my own website here - www.switchopen.com, later in the year I will be at End of the Road festival in Dorset UK (I illustrate the Festival poster), I will be selling my work there. Its my favourite festival. such great music and a great crowd.

The best praise you received lately?

Hmm, well that is from my fellow gigposter peers, so I cant really point one time out, but I have had a lot of good feedback and compliments from people who inspired me in the gigposter realm

What can we wish you for the future?

To be happy in what I do, that, and to be able to work at least 2 jobs instead of the 3 I have now. That part is getting boring real quick ;-)
Last question:; Do you know anything about french rock posters scene ?

Yes, I know of the French artist Tannxx (http://tanxx.com/). Great lines and great lino cuts from Mathilde.
Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

A pleasure

Aucun commentaire: