Reuben Rude (US)



Reuben Rude (US)

I think I already told you how much I was admiring the work they're doing at IPRA, I, once again, have to thanks them for making me discover the work of Reuben Rude! Few artists can pay tribute to Rick Griffins with the same respect and talent Reuben showed with his Carlton Melton poster. The only advice I can give you is to keep an eye on this guy, sooner or later you will not regret it !




Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Carlton Melton or Dinosaur Jr.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

My name is Reuben Rude. I am from San Francisco. I get up in the morning, get my kids off to school, drink about 5 cups of coffee and jump on my drawing board or computer.  I pound away at various art projects, both commercial and personal, for somewhere between 8 and 16 hours, get my kids in bed and hit the sack...next day, same thing.

When did you start drawing?

I started drawing earlier than I can remember; both my parents were artists, and drawing was encouraged in the home.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I went to art school at The Academy of Art University in San Francisco...but I have been known to doodle in schoolbooks, and not just in the margins.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I barely eke out a living as an artist.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Not much.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your
influences?

There are way too many to name, but my last couple of posters were heavily influenced by Rick Griffin...my influences change all the time.  I also want to state here that Robert Crumb is a straight up fucking genius.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

1. Think about it.
2. Make it.
3. Sell it
4. Repeat

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I use both traditional and digital methods.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

 Somewhere between a couple of days and a week.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I make my living as a commercial artist, so if you've got the money, I'll paint those horses...I'll add a viking and some crystal dolphins if you want.

For which band have you already worked for?

Carlton Melton, The Avengers, Primus, Jonathan Richman, and a few more.


For which band would you love to work?

Dinosaur Jr....you reading this, Mr. Mascis?

Do you choose the artists yourself?

They choose me, if I'm lucky.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Making sure that is is ready to print technically...the colors are right, the separations are properly trapped..there's a lot of details that need to be taken care of and it can be a bit nerve wracking, especially if you're super tired at the end of making a poster.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

I am not part of a scene.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

I sell paintings paintings at Fabric8 in San Francisco.

The best praise you received lately?

Zoltron loves me.

What can we wish you for the future?

Just want to stay above ground for as long as I can.

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Aucun commentaire: