Seldon Hunt (US)



Seldon Hunt (US)

Everything is already said on Seldon's blog, so here a copy-paste: "Seldon Hunt has been working as an art director, designer and illustrator since 1995. In recent years much of his output has been devoted to creating a diverse and highly recognizable body of visuals that have become synonymous with contemporary heavy metal. Legendary bands he has worked with have include to name but a few, Isis, Neurosis, High on Fire, Melvins, sunno))), Pelican and Nachtmystium. His voluminous output of the beautiful to the macabre to the sublime and disturbing has graced the apocalyptic sonic releases of some of modern metals most profound masters. Everything from LP and CD covers, to posters, t shirts, skate boards and apparel have been graced by his complex visions of the fantastagoric. He has collaborated frequently with metal grand sage of the underground Stephen O'Malley on various projects. His work is exhibited globally and appears regularly in music, art, culture and design publications as well as being displayed in many new books on contemporary design and illustration. This year he will be a selected exhibitor at the Metal Was Born Here festival in the Midlands of the UK to celebrate the birth of the devils music...metal." As this interview was about to go online, I discovered Seldon's been working on both COC and Monster Magnet logos, another reason to discover this great artist !!!



Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Not sure. Im not listening to much these days. I tend to have movies playing while im working, i find it less distracting than music.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I dont really know who I am, i guess that  half the problem, i come from Melbourne in AUstralia and I live in Brooklyn, in New York. I do a bit of album cover art, some drawing and photography.

When did you start drawing?

When I was about 26.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I studied graphic design, but didnt draw until I left college. I started drawing in a journal when I went and lived in London in 1996, and it went from there.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I used to live from my art, but the poverty is too depressing, so i work as a bar tender as well these days.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Hardly at all.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

I dont really have any influences anymore. I cant even really remember who they were originally. I think I just liked the idea of working with music, or within a subculture and having an influence on people who wanted to do the same thing. Just to contribute. To put back in to what I had gotten from.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

I sketch an idea, then i just make it up as I go along and hope for the best!

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

Depends on the project. I have to scan all my drawings in if i use them for merch, so the computer ends up in there somehow.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

I havent done a poster for 3 years so i cant remember.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

Well, yeah I will try anything. Being trained as a graphic designer originally, I guess I see each project on its merit. I think most people in the music scene doing art do the one thing/style/medium and are approached based upon that. I think that helps them in the long run, as i certainly rarely get contacted by bands anymore to do anything. Maybe my work got too unrecognizable.

For which band have you already worked for?

The list is too long, but I did do a Corrosion of Conformity album early this year.



By the time I was trying to contact you, it seems you became pretty famous, for having re-drawn the famous Corrosion of Conformity logo. Can you tell us a little bit how it has happen

Did I? I dont know, nothing came of it. Was just another job. I was asked by the band to do a t shirt using their logo in a style seen on a Master Musicians of Bukkake LP. I did the image in under an hour and sent it to the band and they ended up using it as the album cover as well as a t shirt. Not such a big deal. I had forgotten about it straight away and saw some stuff a few months later. I havent even heard the album.

Did the band gave you guidelines or were you totally free ?

Like I said, they just wanted their logo drawn in a style. That was all.

Would you be OK for such a challenge for,,,let's say Motorhead logo ?

Of course. I just did the Monster Magnet logo using the same technique.

Speaking of C.O.C, I have been told that Pepper Keenan was responsible for the whole art work. Do you know if it is it true or is it an urban legend ?

I have no idea. Im not really that familiar with the band or their history.
 

For which band would you love to work?

Thats a question for someone just starting out. A band with a $10,00 budget would be nice.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

No!

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Getting a concept across that avoids all the cliches that bands want, like hands with daggers through them, masonic symbols, satanic symbols, alchemical symbols, goats, goat-women, skulls.......Its pretty much a yawnfest of repetition. Bands to me are way more close minded now than they were 10 years ago, all the art looks the same and they all have the same concept.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

No. Maybe a few years ago but Im not part of anything anymore.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

I have a website, seldonhunt.com

The best praise you received lately?

I read a blog recently that said I was the worst artist in the metal/extreme music scene. Thats kinda cool.

What can we wish you for the future?

Pure unadulterated joy.

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Aucun commentaire: