JP Cuison (Philippines)


 
JP Cuison (Philippines)

You are becoming used to it, first of all, visit JP's portfolio on FB to have a clear idea of all he has done in the art of poster ! The "Philippines’ gig poster king", as he has been named, was definitly deserving his place on this blog. I am glad to welcome him here !!







Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?
I’m JP Cuison. From Manila, Philippines. I’m an Associate Creative Director in an Ad Agency. But I’m a gig poster artist whenever I have free time… or clients who are willing to pay.


When did you start drawing?
I started young. My dad’s also an artist. I always see him drawing, so I picked up a crayon and imitated him. Our wall at home was my first canvas. Thank God for bleach.


Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?
I’m a graduate of the University of the Philippines. I majored in Visual Communication. But my style now, I credit to comic books, skateboard radical art, 80s cartoons and the punk movement.
But I still drew on all my schoolbooks.


Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living?
I breathe art.. So I’m living from it. But I’m working in Advertising to pay the bills.


Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?
I’m always being tapped by Rogue Magazine and Pulp Magazine.


Where does your influence come from?
Comic books, 80s cartoons, skateboard radical art, pop art and punk art!


Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?
Jack Kirby, Ed Roth, Frank Kozik and Andy Warhol.


What are the principal steps in your work?
In gig posters, I always rely on title of the gig as the brief. That’s where my ideas come from.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?
I always make sure my artwork starts by hand. I love using brushpens. After doing the base work, I use technology for coloring. But try to limit myself to minimal colors, just like how they do it in the 70s.
But now, I’m transitioning to full silkscreen. It’s a new discipline that I want to master.


How long does it take you to do a poster?
It varies. Some clients are more difficult than others.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?
I’m willing to do that cliché artwork only if I get to put my spin on it. The horse running could be one o the horses of 4 horsemen from the Bible. I’ll make the sunset backdrop cartoony just like Hannah Barbera.


For which band have you already worked for?
Most bands in the Philippines.


For which band would you love to work?
MGMT, Coconut Records, Temper Trap, Pheonix, Vampire Weekend, Passion Pit and Arcade Fire. Basically, the bands in my iPhone.


Do you choose the artists yourself?
Sometimes I do gig posters for the bands I like just for the heck of it.


What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?
What to put on the canvas... It’s easy to do the artwork but it’s hard to come up with the right one.

 Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else?
Yes, the gig poster scene. I’d would like to be in the same “scene” as Kozik, McPherson.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?




The best praise you received lately?


“You’re Philippines’ gig poster king.” It’s flattering, but it’s premature, I feel.


What can we wish you for the future?


More international gig posters.

I’d like to say to MGMT, Coconut Records, Temper Trap, Pheonix, Vampire Weekend, Passion Pit and Arcade Fire. I’m available!




Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !

Aucun commentaire: