Emiliano Aranguren (Arg)

Emiliano Aranguren (Arg)

Lucky you ! This time I will not at all speak about my argentinian souvenirs, enough has been told on that, so let's (once again) focus on the brilliant argentinian poster scene and Emiliano is the best proof that it is not only spotted on Buenos Aires but spreads all over the country and even in the pampa ! If you are not familiar with this part of the world, just check Google Map and you will understand what I mean ! Bienvenido Che !

what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Lee Scratch Perry - Panic in Babylon !

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I was born in the south of Argentina (Patagonia), in a small town (3000 inhabitants) called Puerto Santa Cruz. Since I was a kid, my father shared his music with me.
He is a dentist but for some time he worked for the local radio (the only one at the time). He had a great collection of vinyl records and cassettes. I think that my love for music started there.

When did you start drawing?

I always say that as I like music so much but I never learnt to play an instrument I needed to do something to be there, closet o it, be a part of it.
So I decided to become useful by designing flyers, posters and records for underground bands.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks? Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living?

I have always needed to express myself through images. I learnt from different techniques because I like being open.
I consider myself a self-taught because I never studied any arts or type of design. My formal studies at university were devoted to Sociology because I’m interested in everything that has to do with humanity throughout history.
While I was studying, I was able to use design software which allowed me to share many things, so I started doing favors to underground bands that I liked. I did it for free, just for the pleasure of it. This practice became a regular habit until one day I was asked to show my stuff. Then I was asked to design a poster for a concert, or be part of a collaboration, etc. because they liked what I was doing.
When I realized that I could have a job in this area I decided to follow that path and do it full time. I now work in a Graphic Design Studio and when I get home I continue with my personal projects. I also have a brand of t-shirts in which other artists collaborate: Burkina Estudio / www.burkinaestudio.com.ar/

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

I really like Jean Giraud (Moebius) and Alex Grey, among others. Truth is that I don’t have clear influences form others designers and ilustrators. I think that different things have influenced me and they have made me see the world from different angles. That’s why I’m so eclectic. I don’t know if I have a characteristic style and that happens because I absorb different types of information. I particularly like the cultural break that the sixties and seventies represented: the music, the literature, and the possibility of dreaming with other consciousness spheres, with other worlds. That really attracts me.


What are the principal steps in your work? Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

Both: as I learnt all the techniques that I use by experimenting I don’t have a fixed order.
I think that it depends on the type of work: sometimes I draw and then I go on to the computer. Others, I just draw or I just use the PC. I like variety.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

No idea! Sometime three hours and others two weeks!

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it?

I don’t think I have a strict distinctive style. I think that I learn slowly from myself, I discover things and I try to polish what I know how to do. If somebody asked me to paint classically with oil painting I would do it in my own way! I don’t think the client would be very satisfied with the result!

For which band have you already worked for?

Local bands such as Poseidotica, Los Kahunas, EL Festival de Los Viajes, Futbol and Tantra, among others.
Indie lables such as Sadness Discos and Big Making Records. I recently did something for a German band called Judas and the Winehearts.

For which band would you love to work?

Now, any band that wants to work with me, that has good vibes! I would have loved to work with Black Sabbath, Kyuss and Pantera! jaja

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?

The idea and the concept. The rest works itself out.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else?

I think that in Argentina musicians have always used graphic pieces to promote their music, whether it is fanzines, flyers, posters or stickers.
But I think that now we are have taken it seriously to make posters tangible by printing them. It’s leads of work, we spend money, and we put a lot of love
with some other colleagues here, such as Santi Pozzi. I hope that this trend gets contagious.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

You can see my work here:  www.flickr.com/emifreakout

The best praise you received lately?

Usually, people say “that’s crazyyyy dude!” (or in argentinian spanish;  “que flashero loco!”)

What can we wish you for the future?

To make a living from what I love doing, to travel, and to be happy.


Saludos! and thanks for the interview!

Aucun commentaire: