John Warner (US)

John Warner (US)

John Warner, J Dub All Stars owner and award winning graphic artist, has over 18 years of design and printing experience this is for official introduction. If you try to learn a little bit more regarding John, his FB page will let you know that, besides english, John is also perfectly fluent in Wookie and this is, you guessed it, the one and only reason why I am so glad to have him aboard today ;)


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we
listening to when we come to visit you?

Right now I'm in a Mogwai phase. Currently I'm rocking "Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will"


Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?
Well, I currently reside in Allentown PA but I'm pretty much from all over.  I was born and raised in Johnson City NY and I've lived in San Diego,  Austin TX and Philly.  I've been around.


When did you start drawing?
I started drawing pretty much when I popped out into the world.  This is what I do and I'm in it for life.


Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?
Well, I really never had any formal training.  I never even finished high school.  I'm kind of a do-it-yourself type - I learned everything by myself and on my own terms. I think it's helped me to think outside of the box when it comes to traditional design constraints.  I also think not having a degree from an art school or formal training forces me to try harder.


Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?
I design full time, this is my career.  I work for a lot of major acts these days - Furthur, Phil Lesh, Allman Brothers Band and Citizen Cope to name a few. I also design art for several major brands, agencies and record labels.  I'm extremely busy these days and it has been a bit of a challenge to keep up.


Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?
I do a lot of stuff for my my longtime friend Russ Hartman in Austin Texas, he's the editor of Austin Daze.  I just did the cover for the South By Southwest Issue.  I recently did a cover for and had a feature in Headspace Magazine out of Philly.


Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?
Stanley Mouse, Rick Griffin, Frank Kozik, Victor Moscoso, you know, the classics.  I'm a huge fan of 70's era album art and all the Bill Graham Productions Fillmore posters from the 60's and 70's.  My eyes cannot get enough of this style.


What are the principal steps in your work ?
Usually I sketch out a quick rough on paper to get the general layout of the piece and then work it up in illustrator.  I almost exclusively work in Illustrator.


Do you do everything by hand or on computer?
These days, mostly the computer,  I can get the desired hand-drawn effect pretty well using some tricks I've adopted in illustrator.  I do draw by hand sometimes but I can do just as well directly on the computer.


How long does it take you to do a poster?
That depends.....it really comes down to how into the project I am.  Sometimes there are rush jobs that are by necessity done in a few hours. More detailed designs take longer, especially if it's stuff I really enjoy doing.  I would say anywhere from 4-12 hours depending on the detail.


You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses
running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?
I really don't take requests. (laughter)  Most of my customers come to me because they want something designed by me.  They know and like my style.  I do turn down jobs all the time, for example if someone is asking for something that is just not in my skill set or something I'm just not into, I will refer them to someone I know that can help them.


For which band have you already worked for?
Furthur, Phil Lesh and Friends, Allman Brothers, 7 Walkers, Citizen Cope, Warren Haynes, Gov't Mule, Doobie Brothers, Melvin Seals & JGB, Sly & the Family Stone, Grace Potter, Blackberry Smoke, Big Audio Dynamite, Cabinet, MiZ, Ronnie Montrose (R.I.P.), Ian Hunter, Jefferson Starship, Nils Lofgren, Todd Rundgren, Marshall Tucker Band,  Blackfoot, Citizens Band Radio and many more.  I've worked for hundreds of bands over the years.


For which band would you love to work?
The Rolling Stones.  That would be the my ultimate client.


Do you choose the artists yourself?
No, they usually come to me.


What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?
Coming up with a concept.  Sometime you stare at a blank screen for an hour trying to think of something.


Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?
I really don't subscribe to scenes I guess,  I work too much to socialize. 


A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we
see your work , on the web or in real life?
here are all my web sites
Doctor Fluff Tees is a whole other project I have going on, it's a clothing line inspired by psychedelic music.  We have all kids of shirts and hoodies, plus posters, pins and other items for sale on the site.
All the sites are going through some major upgrades this year so be sure to bookmark and check back for more.

I will also be vending my wares at music festivals and concerts all over the USA this summer.


Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!
No problem, happy to participate.

Aucun commentaire: