Marcos Cabrera (SP)

Marcos Cabrera (SP)

On Marcos' facebook fanpage, you can read: "He designs posters, art prints, album art full of strange imagery with a penchant for monsters and the macabre.His work is highly influenced by the skateboard and surf lifestyles, and by the sub-cultures of punk rock and hardcore.
Monsters, zombies, screaming demon-vomiting skulls that will eat your brains are some of the creepy horrors oozing around his illustrations.". You will be OK with me if I say I do not really see what I could add to this description to convince you to discover Marcos' art, so bienvenido Marcos !



- Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Bassically Rock on all of their styles (rock n roll, metal, stoner, hardcore, industrial,...)

- Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

My name is Marcos Cabrera, I am a Barcelona based illustrator. I was born in Tenerife, Canary Islands and I have been living in barcelona for 8 years.

- When did you start drawing?

Since I remember, I always used to have a pencil in my hands

- Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?
50 percent. During my years on the high school i was a very bad student, i spend all the time drawing on my schoolbooks, my desk,..., then, during the last two years on the high school i took the idea to access to the Fine Arts university  and find a way to earn my live.

- Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?
I work as designer for an events management company and outside of this, i work as illustrator for different projects, the most of them are involved with the music: gig posters, album covers, apparel design...

- Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?
Some times, not regulary

- Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences? 
My influence come from a lot of things: sci-fi / horror movies, comics, video games, music, ... also the news, people, my friends,... I like a lot of graphic artists, i can't choose only a few :)

- What are the principal steps in your work ?
I always begin drawing a very simple rough with some ideas, then i ink the illustration and add colors and other elements on the computer

- Do you do everything by hand or on computer?
50 percent computer, 50 percent by hand

- How long does it take you to do a poster?
That depends of the idea, sometimes the idea is very simple, only one item on the design, plain background,... other times i use to design all the background with no blank space and a lot of details.

- You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?
I don't think so, i draw what i like how i like it, always under the client's feedback

- For which band have you already worked for?
Last album cover i have designed was for Agresiva, a metal band from Madrid, last gigposter was for a Hardcore-Punk festival in Lisbon: Jurassic club Fest

- For which band would you love to work?
i love to work for music bands, i enjoy very much work with them and i hope to continue working with new bands in general in the future.

- Do you choose the artists yourself?
Most of the times i receive an email from a band or a booking agency asking my to do a art for a gigposter, a design for a t-shirt o an artwork for a cover.

- What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?
Add the text with dates, logos, sponsors, ....

- Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?
No

- A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?
You can visit my personal website: marcoslatragedia.com, also you can follow me on facebook Marcos Cabrera Illustrator and Twitter
On gigposters: http://www.gigposters.com/designer/104603_Marcos_Cabrera.html: Marcos_Weirdo. I use to prepare exhibitions some times, stay tuned, 'ill inform soon

- The best praise you received lately?
Life is short, don't waste your time with assholes

- What can we wish you for the future?
don't stop to draw!


Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Aucun commentaire: