Luke Drozd (UK)

Luke Drozd (UK)

"The force Luke, do not underestimate the power of the force" (freely translated from the french version of Starwars), I think that Luke Drozd (ie: C3PO and R2D2) made this statement his own, as his posters are incredibely powerful. Images, at first sight, may seem "naive" but when you take a close look, you often discover that they are not as naive as you thought at the beginning. Filled with typically british nonsense and humor, Luke posters are unique, but see by yourself...


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Could be anything depending on my mood. Current albums getting lots of play on my stereo include Gum Takes Tooth 'Silent Cenotaph' , Eugene McDaniels 'Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse' , Death Grips 'Ex Military' and the Alan Lomax recordings of Fred McDowell, all of which are belters. I guess it changes depending on the work I’m doing or the bands I’m doing it for.
 
Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do? When did you start drawing?

I am a man who makes and draws things for himself and others. I'm originally from Derby in the middle bit of England, spent time in Leeds which is in the North bit and now am in London in the South bit. I split most of my time between doing commissioned work, generally but not exclusively for the music industry and bands, and my own work, which is a mix of sculpture, drawing and collage.
In terms of when I started drawing, I guess I have always drawn to some degree but with regards to doing as a part of my job or practice, maybe since 2004-5?
 
Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I did follow a course, but not one that was really directly linked with my gig poster or illustration work. I have a BA and a Masters in Fine Art but I do also enjoy drawing in the margins of schoolbooks, especially in other peoples and especially pictures of penises. 
 
Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

It varies from month to month but generally I tend to do other bits and bobs alongside my art to keep afloat and in the manner to which I have become accustomed…which is the manner of a sad and lonely tramp. This tends to be work in galleries and occasional lecturing and workshops. To be honest, I enjoy the variety and it allows me to meet human people. It's easy to forget to leave the house otherwise.
Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Yeah, I guess so. My client base and who I work with varies but I seem to have been working with, or having my work in, a few magazines/fanzines recently including the excellent O.K. Periodicals, Monograph (Creative Reviews free magazine for subscribers)  and the great themed zines that Matt Pringle puts together.
Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

Influences in terms of imagery within the work can come for anywhere. Sometimes they pop into my head whilst doing the washing-up or trying not to contemplate my own death, other times it can be from the TV film box in my house. I tend to go to a variety of exhibitions too which can be either incredibly inspiring or devastatingly depressing. It's one of the many things I enjoy about London, this access to a wealth of shows and exhibitions from both established and emerging artists. I have also been bingeing on the work by loads of the artists releasing books through Nobrow, a great independent graphic press in London, particularly the work they have been releasing by Jesse Moynihan and Luke Pearson. 
What are the principal steps in your work ?

It varies depending on the work but in terms of posters it tends to be this:
1. Get asked to design a poster
2. Listen to the band
3. Panic that I have no good ideas for said poster
4. Have good idea for poster
5. Sketch good idea. Turns out good idea is crap.
6. Sketch other ideas.
7. Pick best one and flesh out drawing.
8. Ink drawing using a pen
9. Initiate computerisation process
10. Print
Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

All the drawing is done by hand in layers on tracing paper and then scanned and coloured on Photoshop. So both.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Longer then it probably should. I tend to be obsessive with it and get lost tweaking miniscule things that no-one other than myself would ever notice or care about. 
You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

Sounds like a beautiful image, though I would probably have to really fight drawing some massive dongs on the horses. I like to think I’m pretty open generally though and am happy to work with clients on projects where they have a definite idea about what they want but most the time I’m lucky that people just tend to let me get on with it. 

For which band have you already worked for?

I've worked for a wide variety of bands, from small DIY groups to larger more established acts like Black Keys. Recent projects include album art for the split release by Harsh Noise acts Pirtek and Impetuous Urge and a poster for Death Cab For Cutie. Two very different ends of the musical spectrum.

For which band would you love to work?

Tom Waits is my staple answer to that. Would also like a crack at doing something for Death Grips, mind.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

On the whole they or there management or label tend to approach me, but I have on occasional contacted people I really want to work with. 

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?

It varies form job to job but generally coming up with the initial idea can be the most difficult part. I think as a poster designer you are after an image or idea the represents that band and their sound and you want to make something that you, they and their fans love. That can be tricky.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

I certainly didn’t when I first started making posters but I thinks that’s changed of recent years. The 'gig poster' scene, helped by sites like gigposters.com and shows like Flatstock, has a wealth of amazing talent, and I definitely feel a part of that. Meeting other artists at shows has allowed me to come into contact with inspiring people I know call friends. Drinking beer with nerds is good fun.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?


On the web you can visit my online dwelling at www.lukedrozd.com where you can look at things, make appreciative noises then visit the shop and buy a souvenir. It's a bit like visiting a low-grade museum but without having to see other, real people. In real-life I will have work in a load of shows over the next year including Print & Tunes in Switzerland, Flatstock 33 at SXSW, Austin, TX and the Ink & Paper poster show in London. More info here:  http://sxsw.com/music/expos/flatstock  and here: http://www.printsandtunes.ch/

The best praise you received lately?

It's not that recent, but a man once came into my booth at Flatstock Europe in Hamburg, looked around and laughed before exclaiming 'This is bullshit!'. Amazing!

What can we wish you for the future?

The future will be full of wonderful, pointless drawings for all, followed by my untimely death and poorly attended funeral.

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Thanks for having me. Close the door on the way out or the internet will escape.

Aucun commentaire: