Stêvz (BR)

Stêvz (BR)

Well, I was wondering what kind of new feature I could add on the blog for 2012 and, guess what, Stevz mailed me, so that I had no longer to worry about new feature as I had, thanx to him, a new xountry to add to the blog, so, Happy Brazilian New Year guyz !!


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Anything from the Mothers of Invention to Carlos Gardel.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

My name is Stêvz, I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and work mainly as a comic book artist and a designer.

When did you start drawing?

As a child, like everybody.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I loved drawing during classes, one can get into a deep level of stream-of-counsciousness production, with the teacher's voice in the background, kinda like a mantra with really big words.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I live mainly from design. Although there are elements of art in it, I guess no, I do not live from my art. Yet.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Yes, I've had several self-published books and magazines, and collaboration in many others, specially here in Brasil.

Some of them can be found here: http://quadrinhosdependentes.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/producao-independente/#

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

The internet can provide a really vast amount of reference, not only in design works, but in photography, movies, etc. I don't know how to name just one influence, I guess everything I see around influences me one way or the other. But I'd like to think I'm doing something particular and sincere of my own.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

Usually: Trying to visualize the whole thing, doodling, choosing materials and style, doodling, making mistakes, hating it, scanning, photoshopping.
Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

See above.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

I tend to be minimalistic. Maybe one or two days just thinking about it and planning, and another day to really make it.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I probably won't be up for it. And I usually make my own posters for my own gigs or book releases (is that the term for it?).

For which band have you already worked for?

Brazillian bands Zefirina Bomba, Valdez, Mechanics, Galinha Preta, and mostly my own, Chapamamba.

http://soundcloud.com/chapamamba

For which band would you love to work?

Thee Oh Sees, R Stevie Moore,

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Nope.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

I guess when it needs to display a lot of information, trying to make it readable but still working as one picture.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

Maybe in independent brazillian comics, wich, you know, is a growing scene and all.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

I have a blog (written in portuguese, sorry. but there's a google translate button somewhere down there)

http://cumulusabsurdum.blogspot.com/

a flickr account

http://flickr.com/stevz

a soundcloud

http://soundcloud.com/stevz

vimeo

http://vimeo.com/stevz

and a collective blog in http://revistabeleleu.com.br/

The best praise you received lately?

Someone liked my status on facebook.

What can we wish you for the future?

Payed authoral work!

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Thank you!

1 commentaire:

Liana a dit…

Great interview, Stevz!