Kiryk Drewinski (DE)

Kiryk Drewinski (DE)

I had not enough space in the interview to show all the art Kiryk sent me for the blog so the best thinbg to do, to my opinion is, first read the entire interview, then go directly to his website in order to have a better idea of this polish/german guy talent ! But be sure to take all the attention required to the details of each of the posters as they are not that simple as they can seem at first sight

 

Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?
Well, guess I would have to answer "The Magnificent Brotherhood" as this is the band I am playing guitar and singing in but it wouldn't be true really because I never listen to my own stuff at home. So most probably it would be unknown garage and psych bands from the 60s and some better known ones like The Music Machine, The Beatles, The Byrds, Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Collectors etc. Sometimes you would catch me with some jazz maybe. Generally spoken everything before around 1970 when (most) music got more and more boring to my ears.   


Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?
I'm Kiryk of planet Earth. I was born in Poznan. That's in Poland. Since I'm 6 years old I live in Berlin, Germany. I started to design psychedelic posters at the age of 16 (mainly for my own bands in the beginning). Today I still do posters, record sleeves etc. in that kind of style but I also design other things in other styles too. 


When did you start drawing?
Can't remember. Feels like always.


Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?
My father, Lex Drewinski is a poster maker and professor for graphic design so I had the best art/design education I could probably imagine at home as art was something that was always present. But as an artist you never stop learning.  


Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?
Art and music is what I live for and from.


Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?
No, I don't. At least not very often. What I do regularly for example are posters for "Moonshake Party" that's an ongoing dance concert & party event in Frankfurt's "Ponyhof", my personal Fillmore Auditorium in Germany ; )  


Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?
Of corse a huge influence on my work is the west coast rock poster scene of the 60s but especially the art around 1900 (Art Nouveau etc.) appeals to me very much. I could go crazy about people like Aubrey Beardsley, Alfons Mucha Victor Horta, Hector Guimard, Koloman Moser, Eugene Grasset etc. For example: Around 1902 Alfred Roller invented the typical typeface that was adopted by people like Wes Wilson in the 1960s. I also love Ukiyo-e, a Japanese art form which had a strong influence on the artists of the Bell Epoque. So it's hart to tell really. Art is just a wonderful thing at any time and influences can be caught anywhere, even in the cave paintings of Lascaux.
It's maybe hard to believe if you're looking at my stuff but I'm also influenced by reduced design like the work of Shigeo Fukuda. I like the way he plays around with shapes to achieve optical illusions at times.
Another Influence are polish artists like Roman Cieślewicz or the powerful posters of Waldemar Świerzy.


What are the principal steps in your work ?
It all starts with finding the right idea. Then the rest is just drawing and drawing. The last step is to scan everything into my computer to prepare it for printing. That's when I adjust the color and sometimes some other very minor things.


Do you do everything by hand or on computer?
I draw 99% by hand (except where I use photos for collages of course). That's very important to me as I'm not a believer in using ready images or computerized psych typography. Such a poster can be created by amateurs in 30 minutes and that's what more and more people are doing nower days trying to save money.
I use the computer only as a practical tool. For example if you need to have a perfect circle or a 1cm frame around your poster etc. a computer makes life more easy of course.


How long does it take you to do a poster?
It's difficult to say because every poster is different. Sometimes I spent days only on finding a good idea and only one or two days on doing the actual poster and other times it's just the other way round. Occasionally I have to take photos as a template which makes the process even more time intense. I also like to experiment so I very often do a few versions of one idea till I decide which one I like best. All in all one week work on one poster is a common thing but as I always work on several things at the same time I can't really tell exactly.


You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?
Generally I'm open for new stuff as long as I like it. But to be honest: I hate it to get too much instructions and restrictions. It's like a record company telling their artist what to sing or play. There is a certain point where art stops and prostitution begins. But of course sometimes it has to be a compromise and even sometimes the result can be quite good. But generally I like a customer just to bring me the facts and let me have my own thoughts on it. The name of the band, name of the venue, name of the record, that's all I need generally. Experience has shown that best results can be achieved that way. You know, that's my profession in the end. 
On the other hand I know that musicians can be control freaks. I am one myself, so I can also understand the intention to have their "visions realized".  


For which band have you already worked for?
Oh, there were many but I'm proud of some bands which are my personal heroes like: Sky Saxon & The Seeds, The Electric Prunes, Brian Auger etc. But mostly you will find groups on my posters like Baby Woodrose, The Flying Eyes, Cherry Overdrive, Kid Kongo, The Fuzztones, Bevis Frond, DeWolff and bands like that whose music I also like very much.


For which band would you love to work?
I like to work for bands that I like music wise of course but the professional answer would be: any. Sometimes it's even more challenging to work for a hip hop band or doing soap packages, bed clothing or whatever.


Do you choose the artists yourself?
No, I never did. Usually it's like that: In the middle of one job the next job is knocking. Wouldn't even have the time to choose. But as I'm specialized in psych art the "right" bands keep contacting me anyway. 


What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?
To find an interesting, good, flashy idea. Something that works on spot. The rest is handicraft.


Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?
There sure is a scene but to be honest I don't give a damn about scenes. I just do what I do. Scenes always also mean distinction which can't be too good if you want to progress.


A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?
Just go to www.KIRYK.com. There's also going to be a big closing event of an Exhibition in Frankfurt/Main (Germany) which is showing some of my posters. There will be concerts, party etc. So drop by if you're near. Details on this one can also be found on my page.
If you like my posters and LP covers please definitely check out my garage/psych band "The Magnificent Brotherhood" at www.MagHood.com. You might dig it as well. 

The best praise you received lately?
Your proposal to do this interview.


What can we wish you for the future?
Some free time maybe ; )


Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Thank you! 
Cheers,

Aucun commentaire: