Brad Weir (Australia)

Brad Weir (Australia)

From Perth, Australia...do I really have to say more to tease you ? Well, definitly old school Rock n'roll posters, like the good ol' time ones. To my knowledge he is the only one to do that with a very personnal style, so, kangaroos friends, and the other ones, please welcome Brad Weir !!!!


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?


Right now I’m listening to Cosmic Psychos. Before that I was listening to Bored!.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I’m from Perth, Australia. The most isolated capital city in the world (or I think maybe second to Honolulu). It’s a long way to come for touring bands, which is why I guess our local bands are so important.

When did you start drawing?

I guess around seven or eight. I was always interested in doing something artistic I guess. I enrolled in Fine Art straight out of high school, but the stuff that really caught my eye was always the lower “junk” culture type of stuff - movie & gig posters, comics etc. The work I did there didn’t seem complete without some type over it.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

My experience of graphic design education has pretty much been on the technical side. “Here’s this program, here’s how you use it, do what you will”. The actual art of designing was left to your own exploration.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

Well, I’m a graphic designer by trade, but doing gigposters and such as a full time job is the ultimate goal. If it’s realistic or not I guess I’ll find out.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

When I started studying graphic design I was really into Reid Miles jazz record covers and Saul Bass’ movie intros and posters. Along the way I discovered Art Chantry and his body of work and it really clicked with me. About this time the Aesthetic Apparatus and Patent Pending websites appeared and really opened my eyes. I knew I wanted to do something like this!

What are the principal steps in your work ?

I like to make rough pencil sketches when I have a solid idea. I try to stay as loose as possible though when I’m working, because often mistakes and random chance produce much better ideas than I could ever think of consciously.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

Whatever the job requires. I would like to be a purist and do everything by hand, but it’s not really realistic. I like to use photocopying machines to dirty things up. Something Photoshop still can’t do right.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Two or three days to get it to 90% done. Then usually a week or so of procrastinating before I finish it off. Getting the idea down and solid is the exciting part. Making sure everything is just right for print is usually pretty boring.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I like it when a band gives me a concept (though I may be opposed to it initially) because it tests your skills. If you can get it done, while still being reasonably happy with the results, then you’re good at your job.

For which band have you already worked for?

A lot of local Perth bands - The Painkillers - Abby May - Blazin’ Entrails - Kill Devil Hills - Fear of Comedy - The Craw - The Magoos - SSA - Mace Francis - Sure-Fire Midnights - ZXSpecky - and lots more

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Doing something that hasn’t been done a thousand times before. Especially when your half way through a design and a poster comes out with exactly the same idea you have just done. That’s happened before.

Do you think you are part of a “Graphic Scene”, if so who else ?

I’m sure there is a vibrant “Graphic Scene” in Perth, but I haven’t done much to be a part of it. Working full time takes up most of your energy, but now that I’m working freelance I can work to correct that.

What can we wish you for the future?

Working on website and hopefully a lot of new poster coming out soon.


Aucun commentaire: