Pete Cardosa (US)

Pete Cardosa (US)

Some poster artists are digging again and again their own hole, I mean by that that, as AC/DC or lets say The Cure, they have a distinging style and spend their all work perfecting it. Pete Cardose is not that kind of artist, have a look to his whole work on his site and you will find out that he can work on a large variety of styles with always the same stunning result!!!

Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Today I am listening to Torche, Justice, Wild Flag and The Bronx.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I'm an artist living in the smallest state in the US. called Rhode Island. I am a graphic designer and screenprinter by trade. I have a studio I share with a few other artists.

When did you start drawing?

As far back as I can remember. I always drew scenes from a farm, which is weird because I lived in the city.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

All I ever did was draw in my textbooks. This was looked down upon greatly by my teachers


Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

 I do run my studio as a buisness and have clients BUT I am very picky about what projects I take on. I am a full time senior designer at Reebok International and that takes up most of my time. I do my art in the evenings. I'm very busy all the time.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Yes I do as much of that as I am asked to do.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

I have a wide variety of influences. When I was a child I loved the daily comic strips, especially Peanuts and Garfield. As I got older I really found inspiration in comic books as well as fine art painters like Picasso and Stuart Davis, Warhol and Keith Haring a lot of the pop artists. One I figured out there was a world of screen print aritst out there like Kozik, Hess, Coop it changed everything for me. I knew that's what I wanted to do. I also lived in the same city and hung out in the same art space that Shepard Fairly was working in and first developing OBEY. He was a great guy and was also a huge inspiration. today I find a lot of insperation in my daily surroundings, nature, music.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

 I do a lot of image reseach, i like to go through books and old ads anything really that has a great visual refrence. That usually sparks an idea for me. I have a TON of books.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I usually do both. One way or another the image usually goes through a computer. When I fisr started out it was 100% hand done. Cut and paste type on a drawing etc...

The screenprinting I do is still all done by hand.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

As far as design sometime it comes to me fast and I can do something in a few hours, other times it could be weeks tat I keep going back and fourth on a design until I feel it is right. Printing, It depends on the amount of colors. It could take anywhere from three hours to a week depending on the amount of detail, colors, and edition size involved.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I usually only take a job that lets me have all if not MOST of the creative freedom. Otherwise it's no longer fun and becomes very boring for me.

For which band have you already worked for?

Oh man, I have done over 300 posters so many many many bands. I have a taste that varies so I have done punk, metal, jazz, alt country. Right now I am working with The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, DeerTick, Gillian Welch, X and Wilco. quite a variety.

For which band would you love to work?

Any classic jazz musician stil living. Dave Brubeck, Herbie Hancock< Sonny Rollins. That would be amazing for me. I'd also love to do something for AC/DC. That would be awesome!

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Sometimes if there is someone I really want to work with I will try to contact them. Most of the time the artist or there manager will contact me.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

I find it hard when you have to fit a ton of information in there. Like festival posters. Those are tough. I know you need to advertise but it sould also be a nice piece of art someone wants to hang on there wall. The blance of doing just a peice of "advertising" and a peice of art can sometimes be tricky.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

Well here in in the US there is currently MANY people doing posters. When I started out there was only a few of us around the country and we stayed in touch. Some of my peers at the time were Brian Ewing, Print Mafia, Jermaine Rogers and a few others. The it blew up huge. I Go to the annual Flatstock in Autin TX and most of the folks in the "scene" if you want to call it that are there. All great artist and designers. There is a lot of talent out there.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

My site is http://www.ghost-town.net./ I put all the work on there. I also have posters in a few books such as The Art of Modern Rock, Gigposters Vol 2,The book of Band logos.

The best praise you received lately?

This looks great the check is in the mail.


What can we wish you for the future?

I am starting a small apparel line later this year. I will announce it via the website when it's ready to go. I'm very excited about it. I think people will like it. Keep an eye out for Many posters coming out this year as well as the new album for the Bosstones.

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Aucun commentaire: