Dirty Donny G (Canada)

Dirty Donny G (Canada)

What could I add to Donny's profile on Facebook ? "Deemed to be one of the most influential artists to invade the pop culture scenes of the punk, rock n roll and heavy metal underground, Dirty Donny has been spreading his art across all mediums for decades; ranging from skate decks to pinball machines , to hot rods and album covers." Maybe a huge Thanx and congrats for his talent !!!


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

For me it's always changing. Right now Mastodon's "The Hunter", Gypsy Hawk "Patents and persarvarence" and the Sword "Warp Riders".

I love allot of music. 70's punk rock, metal, garage, classic rock.

Radio Birdman, The Hellacopters, Thin Lizzy etc.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I'm originally from Ottawa Canada. I have lived In San Francisco California for the past 10 years.

I'm a freelance artist mostly working in the music industry. I also paint cars, bike tanks and helmets. I build allot of thing as well like custom Pinball machines.

When did you start drawing?

As soon as I could hold a pencil I was drawing, as a kid I would draw on anything and everything.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I drew all over my schoolbooks. for the whole 5th grade all I drew was Iron Maidens "Eddy" lol.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I've been a full time freelance artist for 13 years now.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

I occasionally do art for fanzines and magazines. No job is to big or to small. I love working with new bands as well as zines. My only problem these days is time.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

I have tons of influences and they are always changing.

Frank Frasetta, Monte, Mouse, Bill Campbell Ed Newt Newton, Jack Kerby, Michael Whelan, Dave Christiansen, Gordon Morison, Norman Saunders, the list goes on and on.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

I have set no limits or rules for what I do. I work with many different mediums. I sculpt, illustrate with brush and ink, pinstripe, airbrush and wood work. I can weld and work with metal. I also use the computer when called for. I restored my 1969 Plymouth Satellite with my pals. Every project has a different approach.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Sometimes a few days to a week depending. I mostly illustrate it with brush and ink, scan that in and build the layout or what ever is left. I used to cut Ruby lithe but now it's all done on the computer.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

Haha, that's funny. For me it's all about motivation. It depends on allot of things.

I mostly get to do what I wasn't, I've very fortunate that way. But that said I take on my share of commissions. It's been a good mix and balance. I get board easy and like to mix it up.

For instance this week I'm finishing up some skateboard designs for Creature that are hand drawn and thenlaid out on the computer. Next week I'm painting/airbrushing a drum set for Brann Daylor of Mastodon. When that's done I'm working on some paintings for my upcoming solo show.

For which band have you already worked for?

I've worked for many bands but to name a few: The Hellacopters, Metallica, Mastodon, The White Wires. I just finished a guitar for Brendon Small of DETHKLOK.



How did you find yourself collaborating with Metallica ? Do you still have news of them ?

A friend of mine is a rodie for them and showed Kirk Hammett my work.

Kirk hired me to do murals at their Head Quarters. Thats when I met the other guys and have been doing artwork for them on and off since 2002.

For which band would you love to work?

You know it's funny, I really want to do a record cover for Personal and The Pizza's.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

I've mostly been approached. One job leads to another, it's true.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Getting the type to look rad. I just did the San Francisco Budget Rock 10 poster and holy-fok there was a tone of type to battle with, lol.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

In a way I'm part of many scenes. The California hot rod automotive world, Pinball, Skateboarding, Posters, Metal/Garage/punk and independent music scenes.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

http://www.dirtydonny.com/ I have a blog dirtydonnyart.blogspot.com but thats moving to my website.

The best praise you received lately?

I've been doing allot 1970's sci-fi fantasy inspired paintings for my solo show.

Two artist friends of mine that I have much respect for told me they loved the work and were stoked on my new or next direction. It was very inspiring.

What can we wish you for the future?

More, new and better!

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Thanks for having me!










New releases :



Aucun commentaire: