Michiel Walrave (US Version)

Michiel Walrave (French Version - en cours)

Well, it becomes clearer and clearer to me, evryday, that my work of intervieweing artists is an endless one. It becomes clearer and clearer to me that they come from all over the planet and this why I am happy to welcome today Michiel Walrave from Rotterdam, Netherlands !!! 



Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you? 

Oddly enough I don't usually listen to music when I'm working..but when I do it's one of the many albums in my iTunes that I always end up listening to like a random Screaching Weasel albumor something by Descendents or ALL.
Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

My name is Michiel, I'm from the Netherlands and I'm 36 years old. I'm a professional illustrator.

When did you start drawing?

At a young age I guess..I've been drawing for as far back as I can remember. I have sketchbooks from when I was 6 or 7 years old.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I went to art school when I left home at 20 years old, and I graduated 4 years later..but I'd have to say most of my real experience or education comes from studying my heroes and doodling all the time.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

This is all I do. Well, this and selling stuff on ebay :)

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?
Not really, no. I used to do artwork for hardcore fazines like 5 years ago, but not as of late.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?
Skateboard graphics, comics and album covers...most notable influences would have to be Jim Phillips and other skateboard artists.

What are the principal steps in your work ? Do you do everything by hand or on computer?
I just draw a picture by hand, using pencils and pens..after that I use Photoshop for coloring and everything else.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

usually 4-6 hrs i'd say...

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

My technique is super limited so I wouldn't be able to pull that off, but I paint every now and then, and have been known to take on assignments outside of my comfort zone, like a poster for a kid's surfing class and a birth card.

For which band have you already worked for?
Too many too mention. Tons of shitty hc bands, some bigger hc bands, and then some huge bands via some bigger Dutch venues - posters for bands like Bad Religion, Pennywise, that sort of stuff.

For which band would you love to work?
Descendents / ALL

Do you choose the artists yourself?
No, I get asked.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?
Posters are easy, because they're a one time thing, and usually the band can't complain about the design for a because it's the venue that asks me for a drawing.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?
I guess..? Me and everybody else who does designs for bands..

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

Wolrd. Check out my website here: www.michielwalrave.com. I also have a little webstore with screenprints for sale: www.michielwalrave.bigcartel.com

The best praise you received lately?
I enjoy every compliment I get!

What can we wish you for the future?
More assignments with better pay!

Last question Do you know anything about french rock posters scene ?

Not really...I know some guys that do hc flyers but that's about it...

Aucun commentaire: