Ryan Mowry (US)


Ryan Mowry (US)

Another victim of this time hole I felt into recently is the great Ryan Mowry who answered me a long time ago. Once again, I have to apologize for the delay, but here we are, it is time now for you, dear readers, to discover the impressive work of Ryan.I have lost enough time now before onlining this interview, so I shut up and let you discover him ....


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: What are we listening to when we come to visit you? 

Chances are you will hear Wovenhand. I can't get enough of David Eugene Edwards music!

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do? 

I'm an Illustrator born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. Relocating with my wife and French bulldog to the mountain living of Colorado! Huge fan of film, comics, arts, and above all else, music.

When did you start drawing?

 I began drawing as a young child, my brother and I would draw all creations big and small.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks? 

Graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Columbus College of Art and Design

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living?

 Right now I currently have a day job that I look forward to phasing out soon. I work my day job, obviously during the day, and art all hours of the night. The day job is a plus, because it provides healthcare for my wife and I. Hopefully soon, healthcare will be free and I won't have to worry about that nonsense anymore.

 Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

 I have in the past however, am not currently working with. I think its always a cool idea, but don't have anything going at the moment.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences? 




Influences come from all areas of life. My wife, music, books, films, God, and so on. Artists include; Paul Pope, Mike Mignola, Franklin Booth, David Foldvari, Klimt, Goya, Carvaggio, Vania Zouravliov, Jason Mowry (brother), Rob Jones (local friend), Phil Hale, Dore, Van Gogh, John Dyer, Baizley, Jacob Bannon, Robert Gwathmey, Moebius, Ron English. Films and Directors that influence me, Terrance Malick, Otomo's "Akira", the many films of Akira Kurasawa. Authors inlcude, Howard Zen, Cormac McCarthy, Herman Melville

What are the principal steps in your work ? 

Sketching, Erasing, Sketching, more erasing, composition contemplation, taking a walk, reference gathering, photographing if needed, *break (15 minute), idea to paper, then selecting perfect soundtrack for the night, process subject to mood.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer? 

My work is 90% hand, 10% computer. I only use the computer for a layout and modest coloring for separation. I try to keep computer out as much as I can, it takes away some of the feel for my images.
How long does it take you to do a poster? Depends, maybe a few days, sometimes as much two weeks
You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

 Right now the pros of having a second income is that I can do what I want. I tend to stick to the things move me. I am open to many opportunities, but chances are I will turn down a "horse in front of a cottage" painting. 

 For which band have you already worked for? 

White Hills, Oxbow, Baroness, Scott Kelly, Weedeater, Those Poor Bastards, Eugene Robinson, and more.

For which band would you love to work? 

Wovenhand, Neko Case, Bat for Lashes, Mono, Trash Talk, Nick Cave & so many more. 

Do you choose the artists yourself? 

I do. Some have reached out to me, but currently I am in the stages of building clientele. 

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster? 

When I process the image into the computer * not a fan. If I could deliver 100 copies straight from my own hand, I would. 

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else? I guess you could say Im part of the gig poster scene? 

I am not a huge fan of " Scene" labels, but I understand its needed sometimes. I would ideally like to be a part of a community of respected artists and stay away from those things labeled as scenes.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life? 

You can view, behind the scenes @ www.pencilplan.blogspot.com/ Purchase posters @ www.etsy.com/people/pencilplan/ Follow on Twitter @pencilplan, or the " all seeing eye" Facebook Pencilplan- Ryan Mowry

The best praise you received lately? 

The best praise? Meeting with John Dyer Baizley and giving him the prints for the Baroness show and watching his reactions to seeing the prints in person ( he totally loved them). Also, hearing Eugene Robinson's praise for the art we have been doing together. 

What can we wish you for the future? 

More and more gig posters. Long live the Screen Print !!
 

Aucun commentaire: